Solved

4 day global pass query

• 20 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi. I’m hoping somebody will be able to answer a couple of questions about the ‘4 day global pass’ please?

Do I have to use all 4 days of the pass? I was hoping to travel on a Saturday and then come back the next day on the Sunday between UK and France, therefore only using 2 days.

Secondly, my journey would begin on the Saturday from Birmingham (UK), travelling to Paris. I would need to get a train from Birmingham to London and then the Eurostar from London to Paris. Would the Birmingham to London and London to Paris journeys all be classed as one outgoing journey and therefore covered by the global pass? 

The return journey would be the same the next day - Paris to London and then London to Birmingham.

Sounds a waste of the pass but it actually works out considerably cheaper, but only if I’m allowed to use the 4 day pass for this purpose?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 20 April 2022, 14:14

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You forgot to add the 2x 30€ SURcharge for the pleasure to use this €*, PLUS that all their trains have small quota for passholders-if these are taken, youre out of luck. Weekends around major hols and on short notice are thus main hurdles.

For the rest you got it right-compliments-does not seem to happen often here

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do I have to use all 4 days of the pass? I was hoping to travel on a Saturday and then come back the next day on the Sunday between UK and France, therefore only using 2 days.

That's no problem at all.

Secondly, my journey would begin on the Saturday from Birmingham (UK), travelling to Paris. I would need to get a train from Birmingham to London and then the Eurostar from London to Paris. Would the Birmingham to London and London to Paris journeys all be classed as one outgoing journey and therefore covered by the global pass? 

Yes, that's one outbound journey on one travel day.

Sounds a waste of the pass but it actually works out considerably cheaper, but only if I’m allowed to use the 4 day pass for this purpose?

May be cheaper indeed, but as mcadv says: don't forget to take the pass holder reservations on Eurostar into account.

Thanks to both of you for your helpful replies, it is very much appreciated.

Is there a way of seeing the limited seat availability for Eurostar that is set aside for Global Pass holders before buying the pass itself or is it just a case of buy the pass and then tough luck if there’s no availability for the days that I want to travel?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Is there a way of seeing the limited seat availability for Eurostar that is set aside for Global Pass holders before buying the pass itself or is it just a case of buy the pass and then tough luck if there’s no availability for the days that I want to travel?

Interrail doesn't seem to be keen on people seeing availability before they buy a pass, but Belgian railways show availability clearly.