Solved

additional charges paris to london

• 23 September 2023
  • 25 replies

Badge

what are the additional charges for the eurostar 1 way Paris to London on the 2nd of Jan 2024 for our family of 2 adults and 2 students after I have purchased our global 7 days in 1 month pass ?

icon

Best answer by ralderton 23 September 2023, 13:31

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

€30 per person each way if you have a second class pass. (€38 in Standard Premier if you have a first class pass)

If you book via B-Europe, you’ll pay a single booking fee of €4. This is cheaper than the Eurail reservations service, which charges €2 per ticket.

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you’re still looking to book on the 2nd Jan, I would do so as soon as you can commit. 

There’s availability now for 4 people on the train that you want, but these fares do sell out.

Badge

Thanks so much. We purchased our global Eurail pass and paid for our reservation through b-line for the Eurostar using The Eurail ticket codes? Is that all we need to do at this point? Do we need to activate the Eurail pass or the travel day in any way. Also can you help are the baggage limits on the Eurostar and other trains in Austria and the UK. 
thanks again for all your help
regards

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You need to activate and correctly use your pass in addition to the reservations, they are specifically for passholders in addition to the pass, regular tickets would have been much more expensive.

Luggage on trains is more or less up to you, as long as you can carry it yourself, check the www.eurostar.com website for specifics on their trains but as long as you are not carrying a ridiculous amount of luggage you are unlikely to be challenged.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Luggage isn't really an issue on most European trains, within reason. There's a theoretical limit on Eurostar, but it's not really enforced unless you're traveling with the kitchen sink (or a bike!).

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage

The only exceptions I know of are Ouigo (which isn't covered by the pass anyway) and Lumo, which operates a few trains between London and Scotland.

You don't need activate a travel day yet. Just do it on the day of travel.

Badge

I have purchased and reserved our tickets , family of 4 on the Eurostar through B-Europe using our Eurail pass but looks I booked the wrong day 2nd Jan not 3rd. Is there a cost to change this for the following day? The site is showing a full cost for new tickets. 

Regards 

Richard 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try putting the booking reference (alphanumeric reference on your reservation) and surname into the Manage Booking section on the Eurostar website.

You might be able to make the change for a €15 fee, depending on availability.

Badge

Thank you for your speedy reply.

regards

Richard

Badge

Hi, as the timetables through Eurail for Vienna-Salzburg are not available i have notice they are on the OBB website.  Am I am able to reserve seats directly with OBB without paying for tickets?  Dates of travel are 26 Dec through to 29th Dec. It is quoting for the tickets however have paid for already my Eurail Pass already. I have not gone through the purchase yet but have downloaded the OBB app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you can buy them through ÖBB, it is cheaper than through Interrail/Eurail and anyway it's always best to use the railway company whenever possible. ÖBB doesn't have booking fees and also works in Italy.

Reservation fees on trains in Austria, Germany, Czechia, Hungary :

- 3€ per train (2nd class)

- 0€ per train (1st class)

There is a seating map for trains within Austria. 

Timetables on ÖBB have not been finalised yet. I'd suggest waiting a few more weeks. In any case reservations are optional and seats will never sell out on those trains.

Add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. Seat reservation only also works but only within Austria.

Badge

I have tickets already though Eurail so don’t want to pay twice. Can I do reservations direct with OBB using my Eurail pass? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Reservations in Austria are not required, you can travel without them and sit in any unreserved seats but they may be preferable, I would expect trains in that period to be either very busy or very quiet depending on local travel patterns.

You can book seats on OBB website/app.

Either use seat reservation only option (will be €3 per seat).

Or add Interrail/eurail as a discount and search for day tickets , it is also €3 per seat reservation in 2nd class but gives free reservation in 1st class.

(this method on OBB works for reservations in some other countries as well, such as Italy where it is the best way of reserving for passholders)

These seat reservations are only useable with a valid ticket (your pass) and 1st class seat reservations require a 1st class pass.

Badge

Could you also help with another question? It would appear the TGV-Lyria from Zurich to Paris on 29th December i cannot book through Eurail but it would appear I cannot reserve the tickets either without purchasing the tickets directly It does  not appear on the Eurail list of partners. I may have misread this however is this not an option for Eurail Global pass holders? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

SNCF will open bookings for December - January on Wednesday 4th October. Reservations should be available on eurail.com a few days later.

The Eurail Global Pass is fully valid onboard TGV Lyria : a partnership between SNCF and SBB, the French and Swiss railway operators.

However the reservation fee is quite expensive : 29€ in 2nd class and 39€ in 1st class (it used to be 75€ until 2022 !). It is possible to save money by :

- taking any train to Basel SBB

- hopping on a TER regional train across the border to Mulhouse or Strasbourg

- boarding the TGV within France : 10€ limited fare, then 20€

Depending on where your accommodation is in Paris it may be faster to travel via Strasbourg.

TGV within France can be booked here : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish (clearer overview and less fee)

Don't hesitate to ask further questions. :)

Badge

Thanks for your advice. I was wondering how quickly tickets / reservations run out for the TGV Lyria using the eurail pass? Do need to activitate the Eurail pass with the Passport information to reserve tickets.  As I am booking for 4 seats together for the family it would be a pity if we cannot sit together. I cannot seem to reserve tickets through SNCF. There does not appear to be any option to use the eurail pass  codes on the SNCF Connect site which there was with the Eurostar. 

Many thanks

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As far as I know, the passholder fare on the TGV-Lyria is available until the train is completely sold out. If they're selling tickets for cash, you can reserve. There aren't quotas like there are on Eurostar.

You can't choose your seats when you reserve via the Eurail service, but the algorithm should try to seat you together. 

You will need to be logged in, and have bought your passes to use the Eurail reservations service, but they definitely sell them.

Badge

Thank you , we have bought the Eurail global pass already. I have paid for reservation through ÖBB stating that I already had a ticket. That was Vienna to Salzburg. The site did not ask for any details pass number however. Interesting I tried the next leg Salzburg to Zurich and did not give me the option. It is on the RJX 368. Am I missing something? Am I being impatient and should I wait until the timetable is available through the Eurail pass. 
regards

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes optional reservations are not tied to a pass number or anything. You use the same process as if you have a regular ticket and want to add a reservation.

I'd wait for Salzburg - Zurich. It will be possible in the coming days or weeks, don't worry.

Badge

Hi , I am still waiting patiently for the time tables to appear for Salzburg Zürich on the 28th Dec and Zurich Paris 29th Dec in the Eurail Planner., We are wanting a high speed direct train. I am worried the app is not working correctly as it shows  me nothing running. The Rail Ninja site seems to be able to display the timetable and provide options for advance bookings but Eurail cannot. Is that to be expected? Is there another way of reserving tickets. Open to suggestions. 
Kind regards 

Richard

Sydney Australia 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Railjet Express (RJX) are not high-speed trains but yeah they're quite fast when not in the mountains.

You do not have to wait for anything to appear on Rail Planner btw. The only thing you need to do there is logging the train before boarding. Most people do that right on the platform or in the station.

Seat reservations :

- Salzburg - Zurich : tickets.oebb.at -> 3€ 2nd class, 0€ 1st class

- Zurich - Paris direct TGV Lyria : eurail.com -> 29€ 2nd class, 39€ 1st class

- Mulhouse/Strasbourg - Paris TGV : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish 10-20€ 1st/2nd class

SNCF released tickets on Wednesday so yes it's normal that timetables haven't appeared elsewhere yet.

RailNinja is a third party website and can sometimes sell tickets when bookings aren't yet open (it's a bit shady).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don't see any trains yet on www.bahn.de, which is the best timetable site to use, so it doesn't look like bookings are open yet.

But there will definitely be fast, direct trains on those routes. You can search sooner dates to give you an idea of timings.

Edited to add: yes, as @thibcabe says, reservations are optional on the Railjet between Salzburg-Zurich.

They are compulsory between Zurich-Paris.

Badge

Hi Guys , Richard again. I am waiting patiently for timetables for Salzburg Zurich and Zurich Paris. If you could confirm they are still not available for 28 & 29th December 2023. I was about to reserve tickets on Salzburg Zurich and for 4 of us, 2 adults , an 18 yr old & 13 yr old it seemed expensive at 140 euro for us all considering I have a Eurail pass already and chose reservation option only through the ÖBB app. Am I doing something wrong?

Can you help? 
Many thanks 

Richard 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes reservations for Salzburg - Zurich are not possible yet. You likely got the prices of saver tickets (which don’t come with reservations). Wait a bit longer and don’t worry ! Reservations should cost 3€ per person in 2nd class or 0€ in 1st with a 1st class pass.

Zurich - Paris : I cannot check if the direct TGV Lyria has been added to eurail.com since I don’t have a valid pass at the moment. Tickets are on sale so it should happen soon if it hasn’t already. If you’re too eager to book call SNCF → https://www.sncf-voyageurs.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone/

Otherwise wait a bit longer, these trains won’t sell out in the near future and reservations have a fixed price (29€ 2nd, 39€ 1st).

It is possible to book Mulhouse/Strasbourg - Paris right now through https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish (10-20€ in both classes). The journey takes a little bit longer but you save money. For example :

• ICE Zürich HB - Basel SBB 09:59 - 10:53
  • TER Basel SBB - Mulhouse 11:21 - 11:44
  • TGV Mulhouse - Paris Gare de Lyon 12:05 - 15:14 10€

Feel free to ask further questions. :)

Badge

Thank you. Would you recommend downloading the sncf-connect app? We are after a direct journey however. Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The SNCF connect app won't be really useful to you.

So for the direct train you have two options :

- call SNCF (link above) : no reservation fees but you pay the call

- eurail.com when available : 4 x 2€ booking fee