Skip to main content
Solved

Advice on getting back to UK from Zagreb by June 1st

• 22 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi all. 

I've been winging my trip - so far I've done Paris-The Hague-Amsterdam-Berlin-Munich-Vienna-Venice-Florence-Rome-Zagreb (flight).

I'm currently in Zagreb and I'm looking to start making my way back to London via train but I'm a bit stuck for ideas on how to do this. All of the night and direct trains are booked up/have no seat reservations available according to OBB. I'm looking at leaving Zagreb tomorrow. Ideally I'd like to not repeat anywhere, but I'd happily do Vienna again maybe. Cheaper countries are preferred but I'm flexible.

Oh and I have more than enough days left on my interrail pass. I bought too many days in the end. 

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. :) 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Plenty of space on the Zagreb/Ljubljana - Zurich night train. I'd do that but maybe add a night in Slovenia first. Either get off in Buchs SG for more Alpine railways or go all the way to Zurich.

Swiss trains run everywhere and they're frequent so it's a pleasure to travel by Interrail in the country.

You could take the Glacier Express on hourly regional trains, better experience than the special train! Chur - Disentis - Andermatt - Brig, etc.

The Albula & Bernina railways are even more stunning but the latter is a dead-end unless you continue to Lake Como.

Switzerland is obviously expensive, especially accommodation. Let's say you arrive in the morning in the country (by night train). Plenty of time to do Landquart - St. Moritz - Tirano and to find something close to the border. Then the next day Tirano - Chur (via Bergün for the best views) - Disentis - etc. Brig shouldn't be too expensive for an overnight stay.

Afterwards you could consider sleeping at the border (Annemasse for Geneva and St-Louis for Basel) but the savings aren't always incredible.

Basel -> Strasbourg -> Lille -> UK?

Have you booked the Eurostar? With the half term holidays most trains are already sold out. There are a few ferries but most don't accept foot passengers...

Hello Zelixer,

maybe you go back over Germany again and visit the oldest city (Trier) build from the romans.

I find a connection in the interrail-Timetable and no reservations need.

Start tommorrow  - early ind the morning oder on 12 am - in “ ZAGREB GLAVNI KOL. (Croatia)” and the Arrive ist “Schweich (DB). (Schweich is a small Town on the way and you get in 20 minutes to Trier and sometimes you find connections easyer with so small towns, but longer to drive)

Make a break in Koblenz, where is the “deutsches Eck”. The train goes along the river Mosel and Wineyards. Many people make holiday in the region.

From Koblenz to Trier ist an regional Train without need Reservation an two times/hours.

Trier is very nice to see an near to Luxembourg. From there you can go over Bruxelles to London.

So you have new Citys to see an a nice nature if you want.

Greetings