Solved

Amsterdam to Munich nighttrain - date in booking calendar and using Eurail pass

• 24 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Hello - I have been reading around this topic for a few weeks and have narrowed down my questions from when I started  can’t seem to find my exact issue here! :) I now have our Eurail passes and wanting to lock in my night train from Amsterdam to Munich. I have discovered that the train is with NS International. I presume my next step is make the seat reservation (I am wanting a private 3 bunk/couchette). This is where I get a bit confused.

If I go to NS International site I am able to select exactly the type of Couchette I want (private for 3 people with an upgrade fee to allow for that) but the price displayed is full price and there doesn’t seem to be an option to add a Eurail discount?

The other issue I came across that was a little confusing is when in NS International site I select my date of 19th April 2023 as departure date, it shows my timetable/ticket as Outbound 20th April - is this correct and it’s just showing me the arrival date in Munich? I have contacted NS International direct with screenshots but they couldn’t explain it so I’m not sure if it’s showing boarding date or disembarking date. 

However, if I go to the Eurail seat reservation booking tool it shows the correct timetable and route (the 7pm direct train) and gives me the option to reserve Seat, Berth or Sleeper for a set number of people and the prices are far cheaper (presuming is is the seat reservation fee I read about) but doesn’t give me the option to select a private couchette as opposed to sharing with others? Is there a way to do this, and is the booking tool all I need to do to ensure we have seats/couchette reserved or is there still something else needing to be paid for hence the large price difference between that and NS international?

I would be be grateful for any advice that can be offered. 

Nikki

icon

Best answer by Al_G 24 October 2022, 03:03

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This train along with the majority of night trains in mainland Europe are run by OBB Nightjet.

https://www.nightjet.com/en/#/home

You are best booking directly with them

https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en

Add interrail/eurail as discount for all passengers and choose one way ticket, not seat reservation.

The date you need to book is the departure date.

You have a choice of 6 or 4 bed couchette compartment or 3, 2 or 1 bed sleeper with or without toilet/shower. Options for private use will be shown as long as spaces are available.

You weren’t clear how many are in your party, beware the compartments are very small, I’d avoid 3-bunks if at all possible, so a max of 2 in sleeper or 4 in couchette compartment

Wonderful, super helpful reply thanks. All sorted now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF you are OK with seats-in a open śaloon´ then you can do it ll for free (RES only optional), with a change in Germany (Düsseldorf): take last ICE out of AMS and at D the 618 ICE to M (around 23.30)-arr. 6.00 next morning, when that city/station is all alive and open. I´ve done that several times.

Whereas in theory you have the choice, the better sleepers are often fully booked weeks/monthes ahead-there are not that many, The seats in the NJ are in 6-person separate compartments. In the winter/ski season often taken by half-drunk noisy laddy groups.About the 1 day: youre were too late-from USA/CA the dates are set to the THEN acting CET=EUR time. Also be very aware of this when you try (too early) to give all details as birth date-reported here many times. From AU it works just the other way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello - I have been reading around this topic 

The other issue I came across that was a little confusing is when in NS International site I select my date of 19th April 2023 as departure date, it shows my timetable/ticket as Outbound 20th April -a is this correct and it’s just showing me the arrival date in Munich? I have contacted NS International direct with screenshots but they couldn’t explain it so I’m not sure if it’s showing boarding date or disembarking date. 

This sometimes happens for travellers from overseas. If you run into the same problem again you need to change the time zone to CET and use the 24 hour clock on the device where you make the reservation. 

Always double check all dates before you confirm any reservations and also check that you got the correct date of birth on your Eurail passes.

Thanks so much. I did wonder if it was a timezone thing especially being in New Zealand. Anyway the OBB site worked better than the NS International and definitely confirmed for my 7pm departure on the 19th. I just checked the DOBs on our Eurail passes and they are correct. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello - I have been reading around this topic 

The other issue I came across that was a little confusing is when in NS International site I select my date of 19th April 2023 as departure date, it shows my timetable/ticket as Outbound 20th April -a is this correct and it’s just showing me the arrival date in Munich? I have contacted NS International direct with screenshots but they couldn’t explain it so I’m not sure if it’s showing boarding date or disembarking date. 

This sometimes happens for travellers from overseas. If you run into the same problem again you need to change the time zone to CET and use the 24 hour clock on the device where you make the reservation. 

Always double check all dates before you confirm any reservations and also check that you got the correct date of birth on your Eurail passes.

This only happens on utterly s*** websites that ignore the manually inputted data requested by users and for some reason beyond any comprehension use the reported timezone from the browser/app of the user to alter their request.

Having used many, many booking services for transport across the world I cannot recall ever seeing this bizarre banana-skin of a concept before and for very good reason. Whoever programmed this garbage needs to be banned for life from ever being within 100m of a keyboard or touchscreen again.

Check this out

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Check this out

[screenshot from NSI]

The NS International website and app cannot book Eurail/Interrail reservations. You can call NSI but Nightjet supplements are best booked via the ÖBB website.