Solved

Are our travel plans too ambitious?

• 5 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Hey! I am travelling with my husband and 2 kids at the end of March on a 1 month global pass. We can only get 3 weeks off work but are hoping to cram in as much as possible. I did a mini Interrail trip 30 years ago! I realise this time will be a very different experience! We are hoping to cover the following itinerary in the 3 weeks :

Glasgow to London, London to Bruges.

Bruges to Vienna

Vienna to Zell am See

Zell am See back to Vienna

Vienna to Krakow

Krakow to Prague

Prague to Berlin

Berlin to Hamburg

Hamburg to Copenhagen

Copenhagen to Gothenberg

Gothenberg to Oslo

Oslo to Bergen

Bergen to Oslo airport for flight home  

is this too much???

icon

Best answer by Schelte 5 January 2023, 18:19

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Looks pretty good! I assume you're planning on taking the NJ Brussels-Vienna (it's a long trip by day trains otherwise)? Note that it only runs 3 times a week and is often fully booked, but you can book reservations for it through oebb.at even before you buy the pass (they're refundable up to two weeks before departure if I recall correctly).

Most other city pairs you mention have direct trains between, or with reliable transfers as far as I know.

Badge +5

Before you do anything else have you booked the Eurostar? There are only very limited passholder seats - see other posts about how to check availability. You do not need to have purchased your Interrail before getting these critical reservations.

It is personal opinion of course but I think you are doing too much especially with children. It looks like 12 days travel in 21 days. I like to have two nights in every city I visit and avoid night trains as you will not arrive well rested to start seeing the sites.

However some people just love sitting on trains and watching the scenery go by so if you are one of those families carry on

Before you do anything else have you booked the Eurostar? There are only very limited passholder seats - see other posts about how to check availability. You do not need to have purchased your Interrail before getting these critical reservations.

It is personal opinion of course but I think you are doing too much especially with children. It looks like 12 days travel in 21 days. I like to have two nights in every city I visit and avoid night trains as you will not arrive well rested to start seeing the sites.

However some people just love sitting on trains and watching the scenery go by so if you are one of those families carry on

Hi. Thanks for your reply! Yes we have our Eurostar reservations- I made sure we got these booked. We also have our flights home from Oslo booked. Still to firm up all plans in between - that is our job this weekend. I think I might cut out a couple of stops because grumpy children would not be fun! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Would have been easier to fly back from Bergen (Norwegian f.e.-also low cost)

Why one should pass half of Austria for this return/same way from Wien to ZaS escapes me-Austria has plenty of other just as scenic bylake+river touristy towns also closer by Wien. Perhaps use overnite form BRu to München and go from there on to ZaS-then on to Wien. There is also a daily DB/ICE=seats only overntie from Köln to M-I used it just 2 days ago again. Its even without any need to RES-but perhaps advisable to grab a 4-seater for the family.

To and fro Krkw can also be done on overnite trains. In fact also Osl-Bgn, but that would rob you from a very scenic indeed ride.