Solved

Availability of Eurorail pass

• 4 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Hi Everyone, We plan to travel to some countries in During Easter holidays . Do we need to take the Eurorail pass in well in Advance or can it be bought closer to our travel dates? has anyone faced availability issue with Eurorail pass? 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 4 February 2024, 17:04

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Passes are always available and cannot sell out. So need to buy them right now and there could be a sale in the coming weeks.

On the other hand seat reservations could sell out, some routes need to be booked well in advance (Eurostar, international TGVs,...).

You do not need a pass to get them in the first place. Look at https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Thanks for the prompt response. Would you have any idea if the above train will be covered in Euro rail pass? 

Because based on the link you shared. This train name is mentioned in what it not covered section but with  name of  few cities, therefore thought should check: 

Thanks in advance

They are included. But this are three trains. The first two do need a mandatory reservation when holding an Eurail pass.

Thanks for clarification . You also mentioned that soon there will be some offer coming up on Eurorail passes. Any tentative date for that ? We have to buy 3 interrail and 3 Eurorail pass. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don't know details but there could be a spring sale in March. There wasn't a winter one this year (excluding Black Friday) so it seems possible.

You don't need a pass to get reservations so feel free to get them in advance if your dates are set. ÖBB doesn't ask any pass number for Italian reservations for example.

Hi. QQ: I plan to take a flight from Rome to Basel. From Basel to Interlaken, will the local train be cheaper of should I take Euro rail pass ?  I already plan to take a Euro rail pass from Interlaken to Innsbruke to PRague to Berlin. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I plan to take a flight from Rome to Basel. From Basel to Interlaken, will the local train be cheaper of should I take Euro rail pass ?  I already plan to take a Euro rail pass from Interlaken to Innsbruke to PRague to Berlin.

You need to make your own calculation. Check prices for all the journeys you plan on your dates and then compare with a pass. A 4-day pass may be cheaper here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'd also add that a flight might not be cheaper when you include tickets to get to/from the airport, 40€ extra per luggage item (depending on the company), etc.

Timewise it is also pretty similar :

- 20-30 min to get to Roma Termini

- 7h train journey (11:50 - 18:30 or 19:00)

Vs flying :

- 45 min to get to the airport

- 2h for controls, etc.

- 1h30 flight

- 2h45 from Basel Airport to Interlaken

Total : around 7h.

It's also a more stressful experience in my opinion. Whatever you choose it will take most of the day. :)