Solved

Bern to Jungfraujoch Global pass use

• 26 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello! 
Some disclaimers before I ask the questions:

1. first time traveler to europe
  2. purchased a 4 day 1st class Global pass. Used two days already by purchasing seat/reservation on ÖBB after selecting the inter rail/Eurail pass to the “discounts” section
  3. plan to use the 3rd day on 30th or 31st July for a round trip from Bern to Jungfraugoch, but very confused if/how to go about it. 
  4. traveling with family (and older people) so want to make sure I have reservations. In case things get crowded, at least the young and the old won’t be stressing about seating.
  5. trying to book the tickets via the SBB app. 

So my questions are:

1. What I haven’t figured out is how to “add/apply” my Eurail Global pass to my SBB profile. The only options I see are the Swiss Pass, Half-fare card or the GA travel card. Should I just select the GA travel card? Or is there any other way to select the Global pass?

2.  I had read somewhere that the Global pass gives 25% discounts on the Interlaken to Jungfraugoch part of the travel. How can I include that - currently the SBB app gives me a ~$125 option which I assume is the “full price” of the tickets without the 25% off.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. 

JD

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 26 July 2023, 10:31

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. Reservations are not a thing in Switzerland. There's always enough space, nobody makes them so they're basically wasted money.
  2. Jungfraujoch is expensive and you get indeed only 25% off. You can buy tickets at the station or the ticket machine in Interlaken. Don't buy tickets in advance because if the weather up there is bad, it would be wasted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Interlaken Ost - Jungfraujoch return costs 179.40 CHF with Eurail (25% discount).

There's no 1st class from Grindelwald Terminal or Lauterbrunnen, depending on which way you go up. The price above applies for 2nd class from Interlaken.

As said buy at the station or online on the day, only when you know the weather. Frankly it is too expensive for what it is... yes the views are beautiful but 180 CHF ?

Trains from Interlaken are generally crowded but you should find a seat by going to train ends. Seat reservations not possible except for the last leg : Eigergletscher - Jungfraujoch (10 CHF per person per way...). This only ensures that you can board the first available train and do not have to wait 30 min for the next one.

As said a bit of a tourist trap. Instead go to Schilthorn (half the price and also 3000m above sea level) and if you've got time take a boat on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz -> 1st class pass fully valid, not a cent extra.

Thanks, @rvdborgt and @thibcabe 

We’re in Bern for just the two days so will likely be buying tickets on the morning of the 30th for that day (if the forecast is good) or for 31st if that’s the better of the two days. I’ve heard about this being a tourist trap but it’s also a bit of a must-do list for some of the family, so trying to keep everyone happy! Haha! 

@thibcabe thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely try to squeeze in the boat. And maybe Schilthorn next time when we don’t have Jungfraugoch must-haves! 

Just a couple of quick follow up questions:

1. could you recommend where to buy the tickets online (SBB, or any other website)? Also, how and where do I apply the discount? 25% isn’t much, but it’s better than 0%
  2. at the station, do I go to an office for look for kiosks? What’s easier - do people at the station speak English? We’re restricied due to not knowing any other “local” language. 

Any other pointer are welcome! 

Many thanks! 

JD

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can buy the discounted tickets at any railway station of the country. Staff will speak English. It should also be possible on jungfrau.ch (remember to add the discount during the booking process).

Other advice : use MeteoSwiss app or website for the best forecasts. Also check the webcam before you go. Sunday afternoon and Monday morning look to have the best weather.

Go early (or late) if you can to avoid crowds

You can buy the discounted tickets at any railway station of the country. Staff will speak English. It should also be possible on jungfrau.ch (remember to add the discount during the booking process).

Other advice : use MeteoSwiss app or website for the best forecasts. Also check the webcam before you go. Sunday afternoon and Monday morning look to have the best weather.

Go early (or late) if you can to avoid crowds

Thank you!