Solved

BLS Brienz Cruise Switzerland

• 29 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I am planning to utilize a travel day for BLS Brienz cruise on 27th April. The route would be Interlaken OST to Brienz with a stopover at Iseltwald. I went thru the time table and accordingly planned our journey:

*Board the ferry at 10.07 am( Shi 61)

*Get down at Iseltwald at around 10.44 am

* Explore Isetlwald for approx 2 hrs

*Board the next ferry( Shi 65) at around 12.50 to Brienz

* Reach brienz at 13.20 and explore the area and then take the train back to Interlaken.

However, I am unable enter this whole journey in the railpanner as Isetlwald see is not a option at all. So, my question is whether is this a hop on/ off ferry, where I can take a next ferry to Brienz if I get down at Isetlwald? Since as per the rail planner I am able to enter only Brienz as a destination.

Kindly help.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 29 March 2024, 13:25

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The rail planner app does not determine what trains/ferries you can take. If one is missing, you can always enter it manually. The BLS ferries are hop on/hop off. No reservation is possible.

The ferry stop in Iseltwald is called “Iseltwald (See)”. You should see it when you type in the name.

The ferry stop in Interlaken is called "Interlaken Ost (See)”. This stop does not show up in the planner search, unfortunately. You can however find it if you use the map view and zoom in on Interlaken. "Interlaken Ost (See)” is located just north of the station, at the waterfront.

@Mukhammad @Camilo. Could "Interlaken Ost (See)” please be made visible in the planner search?

Thank you so for your guidance! Based on your instructions, I was able to add the trip in the Railpanner app. Also noted the information you shared.

One more query, while I was adding this trip, I wanted to add the journey from Interlaken west to OST for the same day as we will be staying in West. I couldn't find many trains in that morning hour but I did find Panoramic train RE 4060 at 8.46 am without seat reservation. I was under the impression that all panoramic trains in Switzerland including Golden express train requires seat reservation charges.

So can I just hop on this panoramic train without reserving the seat or is this a fault in the app? The same question goes for Golden express train from OST to Montreux. 

Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for your response and guidance! Based on your instructions, I could add the Brienz cruise journey. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Only the Glacier Express and the panorama carriages on the Bernina Express require reservations.

For all other trains it's hop on hop off.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

The rail planner app does not determine what trains/ferries you can take. If one is missing, you can always enter it manually. The BLS ferries are hop on/hop off. No reservation is possible.

The ferry stop in Iseltwald is called “Iseltwald (See)”. You should see it when you type in the name.

The ferry stop in Interlaken is called "Interlaken Ost (See)”. This stop does not show up in the planner search, unfortunately. You can however find it if you use the map view and zoom in on Interlaken. "Interlaken Ost (See)” is located just north of the station, at the waterfront.

@Mukhammad @Camilo. Could "Interlaken Ost (See)” please be made visible in the planner search?

I will check with the timetable team to see what can we do 😉

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

UPDATE:

Interlaken Ost (See) is considered a secondary location to Interlaken Ost. This designation is provided to Merits by SBB, and Hacon's logic automatically hides secondary  (subordinate) locations. If a connection serves a station of lower hierarchy, any secondary station can be found by simply using the primary location (in this case, Interlaken Ost).

We have also tested the connection in the App: The BLS ferry traveling from Interlaken Ost (See) to Iseltwald See is identified if a user simply selects Interlaken Ost as the departure point and Iseltwald See as the destination. There's no need to specifically choose the Interlaken Ost (See) station.

Let me know if you have questions.