Solved

booking a ticket for 1eurail ticket holder and 1 NON eurail ticket holder

• 25 April 2023
  • 41 replies

Badge

How do I make sure both my partner and I buy the same train ticket.

Can I purchase both tickets in one place.

I have a eurail

my partner does NOT have a eurail pass

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 25 April 2023, 19:08

View original

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Eurail is a ticket, only the second person needs  to buy a ticket.

For a more useful answer to your specific situation provide enough information to actually know what it is you require.

Badge

i must reserve a seat on the train.

my partner must buy a ticket.

what happens if I reserve my seat and they can not buy a ticket

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

????

There are lots of potential ways of solving your solution but it depends on what country, route train, date, time, class, preferences...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As you live in Switzerland, any SBB ticket counter will be able to help you and book seats if it is needed

Again we need more info to help you !

Badge

OK -- 1st time user here and soooo many issues.

I’m booking a ticket from Zurich to Paris

I have a eurail pass

my partner does not have a eurail pass

I checked and confirmed there were seats for both of us.

I purchased their ticket (full price) via sbb online

I then went to eurail and pressed the purchase button and now it say’s there’s no room on the train.

This is EXACTLY what I was worried about --- what happens if I buy one ticket and there isn’t room for the other person.   

I’m thinking Eurail is a scam.   now I need to go to the train station and see if I can get a refund.

I’ve now checked other times for the train ticket and each one say’s the trains are full from Zurich to Paris (Saturday morning at 6 or 7am)…………..

But SBB say’s there are seats.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please mention date and departure time. Without that we can only guess what the cause could be. TGVs Switzerland-France don't have pass holder quota so if normal tickets can be booked, then there should also be pass holder seats. But there are multiple possible reasons why reservations can fail.

The best way to book would have been to go to the ticket counter and book both the pass reservation and the normal ticket there, so you could be seated together. You can still book the pass reservation at the ticket counter or by phone via SBB or SNCF and mentioned carriage and seat number of the normal ticket and ask for a seat in the neighbourhood.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

-

Badge

4/29 (saturday) depart Zurich 7am  - to Paris

2nd class 

This really seems like a scam.

I wrote an email to your support line and NO response

I wrote a request on this forum and well…….

I called the number on the app and the person on the line said they didn’t know anything about the app.

SOOOO frustrating.  so very frustrating.

HOW am I supposed to trust this service (eurail).  I planned on going somewhere after Paris (on my own) but now how am I supposed to trust this service will work.   my first (very first) attempt and it has failed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There is no 7am Zurich - Paris.

There is a 7.34 direct and this only has 1st class fares left, available for passholders at €70 for a reservation from Interrail reservation portal or full ticket from SNCF at €215. From the seating chart there are only 2 of those left to book.

Badge

7:34 is correct.

It wasn’t full just 10min ago.    and how can I make reservations for 70euros if I only have the 2nd class eurail?  

I’m seeing RED right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It wasn’t full just 10min ago. 

Did you click all the way to the payment page? Otherwise you can't be sure.

Badge

yup ---- I did.

It wasn’t full just 10min ago. 

Did you click all the way to the payment page? Otherwise you can't be sure.

Badge

you said…. available for passholders at €70 for a reservation from Interrail reservation portal

How do I do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

you said…. available for passholders at €70 for a reservation from Interrail reservation portal

How do I do that?

Be in possession of a 1st class pass as 1st class seats is all that is showing as still available.

2nd class seats on this train are still showing as available from Mulhouse France (08.53) - Paris. It is possible to get to Mulhouse from Zurich from the 06.59 changing at Basel SBB

Badge

How do I do that?

Be in possession of a 1st class pass as that is all that is still available.

2nd class seats on this train are still showing as available from Mulhouse France (08.53) - Paris. It is possible to get to Mulhouse from Zurich from the 06.59 changing at Basel SBB

be in possession of a 1st class pass ---- SOOOOOOOOO that wasn’t helpful.

Before I purchased the ticket I also checked the earlier train (highspeed) and there were tickets there.  So as soon as I purchased the ticket I went to “reserve” the ticket I wanted then checked the earlier ticket and BAM -- both were sold out.    HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can only see the availability of sests through the Interrail/Eurail website after you have bought the pass.

If you looked at the Interrail/Eurail before you bought the pass you only see the price and this doesn't mean that there are free seats available. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

By the way. If you live in Switzerland you can't use a Eurail pass but have to use an Interrail pass. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Which ticket did you buy for partner ? Maybe it is a first class ticket. How much did you pay for it ?

Otherwise get a refund of their ticket, it should be possible. Then go to the train station and book another 2nd class ticket via Mulhouse or Strasbourg. It isn't direct but doesn't take that much longer. Also ask for a seat reservation next to your partner for you

That way your seat reservation will only cost 20€/CHF (maybe 10€/CHF if you're lucky) as the TGV ride is only within France (way cheaper)

The TGV Lyria Switzerland - France has the most expensive seat reservation fees unfortunately

Here is a schedule that would work :

- Leaving Zurich at 05:59 or 06:08

- Change in Basel, Mulhouse and Dijon

- Arrive in Paris at 11:12

Zurich - Basel :

- about 11 CHF saver ticket (half-fare) OR

- about 21 CHF saver ticket (full fare)

Basel - Paris :

- 100€ 2nd class (40€ with 2nd class pass) OR - 110€ 1st class (41€ with 2nd class pass = seat reservation + surcharge)

Does your partner have a half-fare card ?

Let us know

Otherwise travel later if you can = leave Zurich at 10-11:00 and there are lots of cheaper options with more availability

Badge

By the way. If you live in Switzerland you can't use a Eurail pass but have to use an Interrail pass. 

yeah I know.

Badge

You can only see the availability of sests through the Interrail/Eurail website after you have bought the pass.

If you looked at the Interrail/Eurail before you bought the pass you only see the price and this doesn't mean that there are free seats available. 

Yeah I know.  I did everything right --- and it still failed

Badge

Which ticket did you buy for partner ? Maybe it is a first class ticket. How much did you pay for it ?

Otherwise get a refund of their ticket, it should be possible. Then go to the train station and book another 2nd class ticket via Mulhouse or Strasbourg. It isn't direct but doesn't take that much longer. Also ask for a seat reservation next to your partner for you

That way your seat reservation will only cost 20€/CHF (maybe 10€/CHF if you're lucky) as the TGV ride is only within France (way cheaper)

The TGV Lyria Switzerland - France has the most expensive seat reservation fees unfortunately

Here is a schedule that would work :

- Leaving Zurich at 05:59 or 06:08

- Change in Basel, Mulhouse and Dijon

- Arrive in Paris at 11:12

Zurich - Basel :

- about 11 CHF saver ticket (half-fare) OR

- about 21 CHF saver ticket (full fare)

Basel - Paris :

- 100€ 2nd class (40€ with 2nd class pass) OR - 110€ 1st class (41€ with 2nd class pass = seat reservation + surcharge)

Does your partner have a half-fare card ?

Let us know

Otherwise travel later if you can = leave Zurich at 10-11:00 and there are lots of cheaper options with more availability

I appreciate the details and the options - thank you.  but here’s where I’m netting out --- I get that I can do this, or that, and even another thing to get this to work.  remember - This was my FIRST experience and why do I need to do this/that/another thing to make their system work.  they have been in business far too long to have the customer do this/that/another thing to get it to work (but not work as marketed) 

OH - and to answer your question --- I purchased my partner the 2nd class seat, so we could travel together (at least in the same class if not the same car)

Lastly, I was so excited about this pass.  I bought it because I wanted a fun experience for both of us and we could travel less challenged then other way’s.  I guess this isn’t to be.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unfortunately you lose a lot of flexibility in the countries requiring seat reservations like France and Spain (Italy is doable).

On the other hand the pass is simply a dream in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, the UK or Scandinavia, etc. Almost all European countries to be frank. There are frequent trains and you can board any one you'd like last-minute and find a free seat (reservations optional, not needed or not possible)

Badge

Unfortunately you lose a lot of flexibility in the countries requiring seat reservations like France and Spain (Italy is doable).

On the other hand the pass is simply a dream in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, the UK or Scandinavia, etc. Almost all European countries to be frank. There are frequent trains and you can board any one you'd like last-minute and find a free seat (reservations optional, not needed or not possible)

I want so badly to believe you --- but as of now it’s 100% failed.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Where would you like to go after Paris ? There are reservation-free TER trains to most of the country but unfortunately they don't run often…

You could go to Lille : dozens of TGV for 10€, even last-minute and then cross the Belgian border to Bruges and/or Gent with reservation-free IC trains.

Yeah it's a real shame that your trip couldn't start properly

Badge

Where would you like to go after Paris ? There are reservation-free TER trains to most of the country but unfortunately they don't run often…

You could go to Lille : dozens of TGV for 10€, even last-minute and then cross the Belgian border to Bruges and/or Gent with reservation-free IC trains.

Yeah it's a real shame that your trip couldn't start properly

If I can’t START my trip --- then do I have a trip at all?

I was sooo excited about this trip and the ability to travel with little to no concerns --- but now, tomorrow - I get to go to the train station and “fight” for a refund on a ticket I purchased and then spend time on figuring out another travel plan.  

I’d have to say the primary frustration I have is, I wrote an email to customer support hours ago - and I haven’t received any support/return communication from the company.