Solved

Booking direct train from Zurich to Paris in August 2024 using global pass.

• 31 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, We are traveling with kids from Zurich(alternatively Geneva if that works better) to Paris mid August 2024. We prefer a direct high speed train where we can use our Gobal Pass.

1. Are we too late or too early to reserve?
  2. What is best website to reserve and use our global pass?

We are first time travelers and completely new to train bookings so any help/input from you is very much appreciated.

Thanks 

Karthick

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 31 January 2024, 18:44

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. Too early. Expect booking to become possible around 4 months in advance.
  2. For this train: www.raileurope.com. For other trains, check https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm
    For domestic trains Switzerland, no reservations are needed (except for a few panoramic express trains). They're possible for some trains, mainly intercity, but in general a waste of money.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you very much for this valuable information. In Rail Europe how do I use my global pass that I have already purchased? Or will that option come only when I reserve?

Also I am assuming I can use Eurail Global pass even for metros within a city (ex: Paris, Rome). Is that true?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you very much for this valuable information. In Rail Europe how do I use my global pass that I have already purchased? Or will that option come only when I reserve?

There's a link "Add rail pass” on the desktop version of the website.

Also I am assuming I can use Eurail Global pass even for metros within a city (ex: Paris, Rome). Is that true?

Eurail is not valid on metro, tram or bus within a city, since they're not operated by the railways. The pass is often valid on suburban trains of the participating companies, but not in Paris, where the pass is not valid on the RER. If you have a flexipass, a travel day is also way too expensive to be used for short rides in a city.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you very much!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I see Rail Europe has 3 direct trains from zurich to Paris mid August but in the afternoon. I need a direct train in the morning. Should I wait? Or if they have listed for that day, it means thats all that are available?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes wait a week or two. Trains should open on 2nd March according to https://www.sncf-connect.com/aide/l-ouverture-des-ventes

The opening might be delayed a bit due to works on the Swiss side (Hauensteintunnel).