Skip to main content
Solved

British/Irish confusion

• 26 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone!

Good to join this community.

I have a question about passes that has probably been answered before, but I can’t find relevant threads. I wondered if anyone could kindly help me?

I’m a dual Irish-British citizen born in London, grown up in London and living in London. I understand that I need to buy an Interrail pass, rather than a Eurail one - that’s pretty clear to me from this link: https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/interested-in-interrailing/do-i-need-an-interrail-or-eurail-pass

It also says here ‘If you're a legal resident of Europe but not a citizen, we ask for your country of residence when you place an order.’ This also makes sense.

However this implies that if you are a citizen of Europe, they won’t ask for your country of residence?

But then it says ‘If you have more than one passport or official residency (dual citizenship), the Pass you use must be based on where you actually live: If you have 2 European passports, use the passport or national identity card (ID) of the country you live in to order your Interrail Pass.’

For reasons which may be obvious, I’d rather use my Irish passport to travel over my British one. The above statement sounds like I’ll need to use my British one… *cries in passport stamping*.

It seems odd that one must order the pass and presumably travel on it using the passport of the country they reside in. For much of my life, I never even had a British passport, I only had an Irish one and have never resided in Ireland. Therefore if someone with an Irish passport living in Britain wanted to buy an Interrail pass, they’d just use their Irish passport?

Basically, my question is, as an Irish person with only a UK address, can I just ignore my British passport altogether in the booking and using of my Interrail pass?

Many thanks for any advice

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

First thing: Europe is used in the geographical sense. Switzerland, the UK, Norway, Turkey are all part of Europe.

During booking you’ll have to select your country of residence. 2 days of your pass may be used in your country of residence, not more than that (even with a 3 months continuous pass).

You should use the British passport with the pass but in reality nobody will care (or could enforce that). An Irish citizen living in London should select Great Britain and travel with a proof of residence.

This measure (sadly) exists so people don’t commute with the pass. Otherwise for example it would be incredible value to commute from London to Paris twice every week… (even including the mandatory reservations).

Btw this is totally separate to the passport you show to border guards. It is only linked to the Interrail Pass.

Hope I didn’t confuse you further!

You should use the British passport with the pass but in reality nobody will care (or could enforce that).

This measure (sadly) exists so people don’t commute with the pass. Otherwise for example it would be incredible value to commute from London to Paris twice every week… (even including the mandatory reservations).

Btw this is totally separate to the passport you show to border guards. It is only linked to the Interrail Pass.

Thank you for your reply! 

Ahh yes so I would be free to use a different passport to show to border guards. Doesn’t seem to be any downside to linking my Interrail pass to my British passport then, if I can still actually travel using my Irish passport, though it sounds like my British one should be at the bottom of my bag, to verify the pass?

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes then you should travel with both.

Only note the max 2 travel days in Great Britain (incl. Eurostar).

Book the Eurostar well in advance (passholder quota...) and you're good to go! :)

Yes then you should travel with both.

Only note the max 2 travel days in Great Britain (incl. Eurostar).

Book the Eurostar well in advance (passholder quota...) and you're good to go! :)

That’s very helpful. Thank you!