Solved

Buying a Eurail Pass as a non-EU Pasport Holder sith an EU Residence Permit

Hello, I am an international student with a Dutch residence permit and a non-EU Pasport. I am thinking of buying a 3-months Global Pass. My questions are:

1. Can I buy the Eurail Pass (not Interrail) with my non-EU Pasport even if I have an EU residence permit? Or am I obligated to buy the Interrail Pass?

2. I see that the Interrail pass has the Inbound/Outbound Journey Rule. Does this mean that I can only use the Interrail Pass for 2 days only in my residence country (but in those 2 days I am free to travel as much as I want in my residence country)? If this is true, after my 2 days are gone, does it mean I need to buy a ticket to neighboring-country's border and only then can use my interrail pass again?

3. Can I use the Interrail if I travel outside Netherlands and then go back to Netherlands again (since I am a student and have classes) and, after a few days, travel abroad again or is this violated the Inbound/Outbound Rule since I will me using many days of travel in and out of the Netherlands?

I am looking forward to your answer. Thank you so much, have a nice day!

icon

Best answer by katarina 31 October 2022, 23:50

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Which country was your passport issued?

There are several countries not in the EU that are in the Interrail network.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I have an Indonesian Pasport since I am from Indonesia..

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I have an Indonesian Pasport since I am from Indonesia..

In that case you can apply for either pass, but if you use your Indonesian passport for a Eurailpass you will need to carry it with you when using the pass in case you are asked for ID.

Obviously with the Eurail pass your other questions are no longer relevant.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Selamat malam, mas. The kind of official rules tell that if you are now longer as 3 or 6 bulan=month in EUR you should not use EUrail anymore. But in practice this is never checked and most do not even know about that. it is mostly to prevent people from using cheap passes to do daily the same very long commutertrips in countries where railfares are very high (ya, bisa, mahal sekali dari Belanda).

I myself am now on day 75 or so of a 3 month pass (bought half price in the big sale) and as NL make shorter trips, today started nr 9, but use my own DalVrij to use for in NL

DO be aware that mostly in FRancia, ESpana and also ITaly you have to REServe about all long-distance trains and that can sometimes be nerve-wrecking and also add a lot to the cost if you do not do that smartly.

@Yorkie Noted! Do you think it will be a problem of they know that I am using a Eurail Pass but I have an EU Residence permit?

@mcadv I am sorry I do not quite understand what you mean. Do you use Eurail or Interrail? And does it mean that you have eurail/interrail (for abroad trips) but also a dutch train subscription (for NL trips)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Yorkie Noted! Do you think it will be a problem of they know that I am using a Eurail Pass but I have an EU Residence permit?

Railway staff cannot know what residence permit you have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The kind of official rules tell that if you are now longer as 3 or 6 bulan=month in EUR you should not use EUrail anymore.

@mcadv You have been told numerous times that this is incorrect. Please stop spreading nonsense.

@rvdborgt I see, so do you think it's better to buy Eurail Pass instead of Interrail Pass if you have a non-EU Pasport? Since, of course, the Eurail Pass does not have the inbound/outbound journey rule.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt I see, so do you think it's better to buy Eurail Pass instead of Interrail Pass if you have a non-EU Pasport? Since, of course, the Eurail Pass does not have the inbound/outbound journey rule.

Yes indeed, Eurail is better if you have a non-European passport. (EU has nothing to do with Interrail).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes. Train inspectors are only interested that you have a valid pass and are unlikely to ask for ID, but just in case they do your Indonesian passport is fine.

You would need your passport anyway for crossing some borders, nothing to do with your rail pass of course.

@Yorkie @rvdborgt Okayy, noted, thank you so much for your help!!

Sorry this is my first time using this forum and I accidentally clicked my last reply as an answer :") Thank you so much for your help, the entire discussion itself is the answer and it's very helpful.