Solved

Buying connecting tickets in home country after inbound/outbound journey used

• 28 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone,

I have already used my inbound/outbound journey, I have a 3 months continuous pass and I would like to do more trips. My question is about the connecting tickets I have to buy for trains in the home country when inbound and outbound journey have been already used. My home country is Germany.

According to information I received from DB personnel, connecting ticket must be bought from/to the first/last stop before/after the border in Germany, so for example if I want to travel from Linz to Frankfurt, I need to buy a ticket from Passau, since this is the first stop after the border. Taking the ICE train from Austria, however, as well as with all other trains crossing the border, I'm not able to add the leg from Linz to Passau since Passau is considered as a German train station. There is also no stop closer to the border during this trip. In the details, I can see that there is also a station named Passau (Austria), but this station I'm not able to select in the journey planner. Most of the journey is done abroad, so I don’t really see the point in buying the full ticket from Linz to Passau. 

Does anyone have had the same problem and could solve it? How are the regulations for border stations? 

Thanks for your help, Julia

icon

Best answer by JuliaKn 2 July 2022, 13:48

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello everyone,

I have already used my inbound/outbound journey, I have a 3 months continuous pass and I would like to do more trips. My question is about the connecting tickets I have to buy for trains in the home country when inbound and outbound journey have been already used. My home country is Germany.

According to information I received from DB personnel, connecting ticket must be bought from/to the first/last stop before/after the border in Germany, so for example if I want to travel from Linz to Frankfurt, I need to buy a ticket from Passau, since this is the first stop after the border. Taking the ICE train from Austria, however, as well as with all other trains crossing the border, I'm not able to add the leg from Linz to Passau since Passau is considered as a German train station. There is also no stop closer to the border during this trip. In the details, I can see that there is also a station named Passau (Austria), but this station I'm not able to select in the journey planner. Most of the journey is done abroad, so I don’t really see the point in buying the full ticket from Linz to Passau. 

Does anyone have had the same problem and could solve it? How are the regulations for border stations? 

Thanks for your help, Julia

Passau is the offical border point Sadly These Points have only one Nationality on the App only Thing you can Do is to add Passau manually with "Austria" as country as the train is from Passau a "Austrian Train" 

Thank you @seewulf ! I have also thought about doing this, but I am not sure if this is the "right" solution in terms of the regulations or if it is more of a "grey" solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Es ist eher umgekehrt: auf Paper-pass alter Stil-die mann sofort bei DB kaufen kann-ist es kein problem. Aber keiner hat mit alle solcher (und noch viele mehr) Fälle gerechnet beim Entwurf der app-Hauptsahe war ja das mann MAX nur 2 tage ins Heimland reisen dürfte.

Das gleiche gibt sehr viel mehr Probl bei Basel-das sowohl Swiss als FR ist.

Und falls du noch andere Reise plant: officiell ist/war es so das es GrenzTARIFPUNkte gibt-nur nach AT sind die meist aus Bequemheit mit einer echter BHF zusammengeschmolzen-auch Salzburg ist deshalb DE-PUnkt. Aber mittlerweile hat DB grose MÜhe genau nach diese PUnkte zu verkaufen-wenn überhaupt geht das nur als FLEX=sehr teuer, und ist mann mit eine Sparpreis (wenn mann IC will und kein 9€) bis zum 1er Halt nach Grenze dann besser dran

Hi everyone, 

I have finally received an answer by the Interrail Team, so I want to share:

“To start or end your trip at a border station without having to use your out- or in-bound trips on that travel day, you can go to the Planner section and fill in the departure/arrival station followed by the word "border". You should see a notification saying the station was not found, along with an option to "add your journey manually".  By clicking that, you can enter the name of the station + the word "border" and manually select the country (so not your country of residence, in this case, to avoid the use of the out-/in-bound). If you combine this with a regular transport card to travel in your own country, instead of regular tickets, remember you may need to check out/in at the border station. If the train does not stop at a border station, you must purchase regular tickets from the last station in one country to the first in the next.”

I hope this helps other travelers too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi everyone, 

I have finally received an answer by the Interrail Team, so I want to share:

“To start or end your trip at a border station without having to use your out- or in-bound trips on that travel day, you can go to the Planner section and fill in the departure/arrival station followed by the word "border". You should see a notification saying the station was not found, along with an option to "add your journey manually".  By clicking that, you can enter the name of the station + the word "border" and manually select the country (so not your country of residence, in this case, to avoid the use of the out-/in-bound). If you combine this with a regular transport card to travel in your own country, instead of regular tickets, remember you may need to check out/in at the border station. If the train does not stop at a border station, you must purchase regular tickets from the last station in one country to the first in the next.”

I hope this helps other travelers too!

If you have an Iphone there is, or at least recently was, a bug that made journeys dissappear if you add journeys manually. Just be aware of that.