Solved

Caledonian sleeper & Eurostar

• 7 January 2024
  • 4 replies

I want to take the Caledonian sleeper from Edinburg, departing Feb 25th, to London, arriving Feb 26th. And the Eurostar from London to Amsterdam at Feb 26th. Does this count for one interrail traveling day or two traveling days?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 7 January 2024, 12:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Usually this would require 2 travel days as the Caledonian Sleeper leaves at 23:15 but the app uses Central European Time (CET) and thus the train leaves at 00:15 with the time difference. So only one pass day.

Book reservations well in advance as both are really popular routes.

Btw there is also the overnight ferry from Newcastle to IJmuiden if it's more convenient for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Usually this would require 2 travel days as the Caledonian Sleeper leaves at 23:15 but the app uses Central European Time (CET) and thus the train leaves at 00:15 with the time difference. So only one pass day.

Is the app now correctly identifying a 2315 GMT departure as ‘tomorrow’? Because I think in the past it was incorrectly using local time, and would use a travel day on 25th.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Is the app now correctly identifying a 2315 GMT departure as ‘tomorrow’? Because I think in the past it was incorrectly using local time, and would use a travel day on 25th.

It doesn't, it still incorrectly uses local time.

In addition, the Edinburgh-London carriages are not displayed as a direct train, so just add the train manually and indicate the departure time after midnight, so it doesn't use 2 travel days and both in/outbounds.

@Mukhammad @Camilo. Any news on this bug that I had already reported many months ago?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So to be clear @Natan - yes this is absolutely fine to do this.

There are some gremlins if you’re using a mobile pass that need a workaround, but it’s absolutely OK and it only uses one travel day.