Solved

Can 1st class Eurail Pass holder use 1st class coaches (Prefente) on Renfe AVE trains and also use the Sala Club Lounges in Spanish train stations before departure?

• 20 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have been reading articles on Seat 61, but still feel a bit confused about if 1st class Eurail pass holders can reserve seats in the premium coaches, have meals included, and also use the Sala Club Lounges in Spanish train stations before departure.

Below is the screenshot from the article on Seat 61:

We will take the train from Paris to Barcelona, Barcelona to Madrid, Madrid to Seville in separate days. We were wondering if we could use the Sala Lounges in both Barcelona Sants Station and Madrid Puerda De Atocha Station. If so, maybe we could book a slightly later train in the morning so we could spend some time and have some breakfast in the Sala Lounges.

Thank you in advance :)

icon

Best answer by Schelte 20 January 2023, 11:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

If you have a seat reservation in Premium (about €25, as far as I know only bookable at Renfe ticket desks), you should get access to the lounges. If you have a reservation in Comfort (first class seat but no service, about €10-13), you generally do not have lounge access.

However, the Renfe lounges (Sala Club) isn't really worth spending much time in, and in any case they don't serve breakfast there. I wouldn't even head earlier to the station for going in.

If you have a seat reservation in Premium, depending of the moment you will get a breakfast served on board. This was my breakfast on a Saturday last september.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Schelte Thanks so much for answering my question again :)

I reckon we won’t book premium then, comfort should be enough :)

I do have another question about night jet from Venice to Munich, maybe I should write a separate post.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Booking premium probably makes most sense around lunch or dinner time; for passholders, for €10-13 extra you get a meal and all drinks (including alcoholic drinks) served at your seat during the trip.

I would usually pay less for a breakfast in a café in Spain, so don't think it worth for that. Note in between Renfe's meal times they serve a snack which is worth even less - at least in my opinion. 

When booking at ticket offices you might not be given the option to chose between Premium and Comfort, but ask as they should be able to book both with the pass rate (at least for 1st class passholders). All AVE's offer Premium, and if I'm not mistaken Euromeds as well. 

If you book Premium, be also sure to give up dietary preferences when booking as there is no choice in the meal you get once on board.