Solved

Can I let Basel SBB count as France?

• 29 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi everyone, I’m a swiss person planning to travel around from Basel, as I live here. I know that Badischer Bahnhof counts as Germany, which is very useful. I know that Basel SBB is also on the french boarder, but unfortunately in the app there is no option to pick SBB (France). 

Do you know if that still works, let’s say I travel from Basel SBB to Barcelona? 
Or would it be helpful to just pick a trip from St.Louis to Barcelona and pay the first little bit? 

Thanks for your help! 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 29 June 2023, 10:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just enter the first train manually and choose country France for Basel SBB. Basel is the border tariff point between France and Switzerland and this has already been reported multiple times.

@Mukhammad is there any progress here? Basel SBB should be both in France and in Switzerland.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Basel SBB is the border point but it isn't reflected in Rail Planner... add the journey manually I'd say.

Btw on 2 of your pass days you can travel in your country of residence. It might be cheaper to travel via Geneva.

If you'd like to take the TGV between France and Barcelona (25-35€ seat reservation), book it ASAP. Most trains in the next weeks are sold out... there are alternatives though :

- any TGV to Nîmes or Montpellier (carefully check which station as Pont du Gard* and Sud de France are in the suburbs) + regional trains to Portbou and afterwards Barcelona

- there will be a direct AVE between Lyon and Barcelona starting 13th July (not daily for now) : very convenient but not yet known if they accept passes.

Book TGVs well in advance : 10€ limited fare, then 20€. They can sell out well in advance, esp. those heading south. Check availability here : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

Book either through the link above (4€ fee per order), on interrail.eu (2€ per person per train) or at SBB or SNCF ticket counters (no fee).

Do not hesitate for questions.

*easily connected by TER regional trains

What do you exactly mean with manually? I already booked a reservation from Basel SBB to Barcelona and back. I hope that doesnt affect my inbound - outbound thing going on. 

As i want to use my inbound and outbound trip for another trip i’d really like to avoid making mistakes with the trip from Basel - Barcelona. 

Thank you for the help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What do you exactly mean with manually? I already booked a reservation from Basel SBB to Barcelona and back. I hope that doesnt affect my inbound - outbound thing going on.

Reservations are completely separate from the pass.

To add a manual journey, scroll down to the bottom of the planner results and tap on "Add it manually”.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Just enter the first train manually and choose country France for Basel SBB. Basel is the border tariff point between France and Switzerland and this has already been reported multiple times.

@Mukhammad is there any progress here? Basel SBB should be both in France and in Switzerland.

@rvdborgt, upon checking the tasks assigned to our Product team, this is unfortunately still in progress. Could you inform me in detail the reports that you have sent before?

In that case, I can try to remind the team again if this needs to be updated.

FYI, this info somehow can be found exclusively on https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/trains-country/trains-france. Under tab 'HIGH-SPEED TRAINS'

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt, upon checking the tasks assigned to our Product team, this is unfortunately still in progress. Could you inform me in detail the reports that you have sent before?

In that case, I can try to remind the team again if this needs to be updated.

Here are 2 posts where it was mentioned:

FYI, this info somehow can be found exclusively on https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/trains-country/trains-france. Under tab 'HIGH-SPEED TRAINS'

Very good.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@rvdborgt Thanks for keeping me in the loop!

I'll ask the team if there's another update to work on this case :)

UPDATE: Implementing border stations is an ongoing work within the organization. We hope that this can be implemented, so there is no need to add journey manually to travel between, from or to border stations.