Skip to main content
Solved

Can I use Eurail if I am not Europian?

I was born in USA and I am visiting Europe from July 7 until August 14, do you know if i can use the discounts of Eurail?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes of course you can buy a Eurail Pass ! The pass is your ticket. You may be requested to show your non-European passport on the train but it is relatively rare and more to check if names match.

Germany is a great country for Eurail as seat reservations are optional on high-speed trains (although recommended on busy routes).

Depending on your destination (France, Spain, Italy and some cross-border routes) remember that you’ll need to buy seat reservations well in advance, esp. in summer.

Do not hesitate for further questions, mentioning route, date and departure time.

Badge

brilliant ! The thing is that I don't have much of a budget, I'm going to stay with a guy in Bramfeld, Hamburg. From July 7 to August 14. but I have family in colony and I would also like to visit them. In addition to going to Brussels and Bruges in Belgium, Paris, and Vienna.

I would also like to go to Madrid because I have a friend who is there but she can only accommodate me from July 11 to July 14 but I have seen that the tickets are very expensive to go to Spain 😓

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Some advice :

The seat reservation for Germany - Paris TGV costs 17€, book them well in advance as they're popular.

4.90€ optional seat reservation through bahn.com to get to Brussels and Vienna, very much recommended -> otherwise you'll surely stand.

It will be complicated to get to Madrid. You'll need at least 2 days each way. If you want I can give you advice on how to get there, just let me know when you'd like to leave and come back : 9th or 10th July ? It should cost at least 2 x 10€ each way. That's the seat reservation costs.

The fastest TGVs from Paris (37€ extra) are sold out so you'll have to rely on the slower cross-border route via Portbou or Hendaye -> still totally fine. I'd choose Portbou one-way and Hendaye the other way, just for fun and scenery !