Solved

Can I use the Eurail pass in one country, fly to another, and use the pass there?

• 14 June 2023
  • 2 replies

I am traveling to Paris, wanting to take a train to Barcelona, then flying from Barcelona to Rome. From Rome I also need to take a train to Ancona and back. I was wondering if I could use the 4 day pass to travel from Paris to Barcelona via train, then after I fly to Rome use the pass again to take the train to Ancona and back. I would really appreciate an answer, thanks. 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 14 June 2023, 21:26

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sure you can.

There's also an overnight ferry from Barcelona to Civitavecchia, which is close to Rome:

https://www.grimaldi-lines.com/

There's a small pass holder discount (no travel day needed); also check if there are advance fares without the pass holder discount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Please note that the TGV to Barcelona (37€ seat reservation) is extremely popular, some summer dates are already sold out. If you want to take the direct train, book ASAP.

Alternatives :

- TGV to Montpellier or Perpignan (limited 10€ fare, then 20€)

- TER Montpellier/Perpignan - Portbou (reservation-free)

- R Portbou - Barcelona-Sants or Passeig de Gracia (reservation-free)

This route has more availability and is cheaper + more scenic (by the coast) but it takes 3h longer, incl. a break along the way. :)

Option 2 : night train to Cerbère (Mediterranean) or Latour de Carol (Pyrénées) -> about 23€ for a couchette. From either station, regional train to Barcelona in the morning.

In any case, do not wait long to book if you're travelling this summer.

Between Rome and Ancona : either a reservation-free regional train or an IC train (3€ seat reservation). Italian seat reservations are best done through tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. Don't worry, no need to book the IC long in advance, a day or 2 before should be enough.