Solved

Can I use the pass on spain high speed trains and holland trains?

• 9 August 2022
  • 2 replies

I am flying  to Madrid from London on Thursday and would like to get the train to Valencia from Madrid on the Friday. Is the eurail valid for spain high speed trains ?

also I am then flying to Amsterdam on the following week. Can I use the pass to get from Amsterdam to emmen ? 

icon

Best answer by mcadv 9 August 2022, 23:05

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Your global pass is valid for all trains operated by Renfe in Spain. Don’t forget most of Spain’s high speed trains require a reservation, which you get from the ticket office.

The same in Holland for almost all train operators.

Simply check the IR planner for the journey you require - It will tell you all you need to know about each journey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

yes and yes.

BUT; ALL such trains in ESpana also must be REServed-and that is about10€ extra+effort, as it can only in practice be done at a counter of RENFE whilst in ES. You can also use pass for the trip on RENFE cercanias from T1 in MAD into town-but if you have passdays a normal ticket is far cheaper.

AMS to Emmen is via/change Zwolle- ev 30 mins, and from Z ARRIVA train, pass remain valid. In AMS gates at all stations-you can pass these (some, not those with the grey buttons) with QR code on pass.

THere are also direct trains to Zw from Schiphol airport-low level, from AMS Central you have to take first IC train to Almere, change there to that train coming from Airpt. OR-depending if youn  stay there and where, take metro (NOT included in pass) to ZUID WTC station where the direct IC also stops.

IN VLC pass is NOT valid on local transit that is not labelled as RENFE=also metro-lookalike to airport.