Solved

Can we check if our preferred train options are available before buying a pass?

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend want to visit Italy this summer. This is our first time using Interrail.

We have looked at some travel options and have picked out the best option for us. But before we want to buy our Interrail pass we want to make sure the train options are available at the time. But how can we know this before buying the actual Interrail pass?

icon

Best answer by tml 11 May 2022, 16:23

View original

3 replies

You can check whether there are free seats on trains directly on the operator’s website. For internal trains in Italy, that would be trenitalia.com. Please note that Italy is not a very “Interrail-friendly” country to travel in. Especially if you have a non-continuous Interrail pass (of the type “5 days in one month” etc) and you are going to travel in other countries, too. It might well be that some trips inside Italy are cheaper to buy as normal tickets than what the price of your Interrail pass divided by the number of days it is valid is. Plus, for the high-speed trains there is a 10€ surcharge if you use Interrail that you need to take into account, too. Then it might be better to “save” the travel days in other countries. 

On the other hand, it is annoying to buy a “10 days in two months” type of pass and then notice when your trip is about to end that you have unused travel days left. Optimising what tickets to use for what trip is really a hard problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend want to visit Italy this summer. This is our first time using Interrail.

We have looked at some travel options and have picked out the best option for us. But before we want to buy our Interrail pass we want to make sure the train options are available at the time. But how can we know this before buying the actual Interrail pass?

@seewulf has worked out a fantastic guide on how to make reservations.
Go to his profile, and find the topic " How to make reservations "

You can book tickets via the OEBB site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ALS je enkel IN IT wil reizen, dan is een global pas van weinig waarde/te duur, tenzij je ook H+T erheen helemaal per trein wilt doen + dan wat extra stops-je komt er toch langs. Ze hebben ook eigen passen enkel voor In IT.

Voor kortere stukken In IT-waar je de gewone regionale trein kan nemen-is een pas veelal duurder-die treintjes zijn nog steeds (voor ons) spotgoedkoop. Die treinen zijn net als NS altijd voor ieder open.

Je bedoelt wrs te sjekken of bepaalde treinen DAN nog plaatsen hebben als je moet REServ-wel, dat is NU zeker zo-in feite KUNnen veel treinen nu nog niet eens geRES worden, je bent te vroeg. Als je ook maar minimaal flexibel bent (uurtje eerder of later) dan gaat dat vast wel lukken.

Let op-naast de staats (en vaak stakende) TrenITalia is er ook ITALO als lower cost hi-speed op die lijnen-die accepteert geen pas maar biedt vaak wel weer net wat goedkopere tickets.