Skip to main content
Solved

CAN YOU DOUBLE BACK OR RETURN TO CITY OF DEPARTURE

• 19 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Folks have a bit of a dilemma and , finding no real info , so I'm hoping someone can tell me..... We are Irish Citizens ,So not the Own country rule....So We have interrail passes , now let's say We go from Florence to Rome and need to return to Florence that evening....so a day trip, then the next day , let's say go from Florence to Venice ,and return back that evening.....With Florence as a possible base.....is this allowed or classified as commuting, even tho not actually commuting....??? I have seen posts online, where people were Told by train conductor this was not allowed and invalid as can't do return.....the posts seem to be a good few years old , Now I was thinking, Maybe book as singles , so using examples above, but making individual seat reservations for outbound and inbound....I hope I'm making Sense....OR DO WE NEED TO WORK IN A LOOP FORMAT, Only using any given city once , which tbh will be a logisical nightmare.....not ness those actual destinations, just using as an example to explain...... Really hope someone can help that HAS ACTUALLY DONE THIS....many thanks in advance 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can do whatever you want. On a pass day you may use 1, 2, 20, 50 trains.

It is 100% allowed to do return journeys. You could do the same line 5 times, etc.

You're overthinking it. Enjoy the trip!

I wouldn't have said I was over thinking it , I am being very mindful of potential disasters that could happen as a first time person using interrail , am travelling with a child and some of our trips will be late departures or late arrivals, So last thing I need is to discover we are stranded ,  but many thanks for the reply 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I wouldn't have said I was over thinking it , I am being very mindful of potential disasters that could happen as a first time person using interrail , am travelling with a child and some of our trips will be late departures or late arrivals, So last thing I need is to discover we are stranded ,  but many thanks for the reply 

If you post links of where this advice was given we can advise further as to what is being said, but as far as the rules of a pass, what @thibcabe posted is correct.