Solved

Changing from paper pass to mobile before activation: finding it hard to get a response

• 3 March 2023
  • 8 replies

I bought a paper pass last year timed for travel from 9 April this year.  Special 50% deal offered at the time. Pass not yet activated. Issued by ATOC. However I now realise a mobile pass is likely to be easier, particularly as I’m travelling with someone who has a mobile pass. I’m going round in circles trying to find someone (other than chatbot which couldn’t answer my question) to tell me if this is possible and how it can be done. Any suggestions, or do I stick with my paper pass?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 3 March 2023, 18:15

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The pass bought at the 50% sale can't be exchanged.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Whether your travel companion has a mobile pass or not doesn't make a difference in the handling of your own pass and any reservations.

If we want to exchange the Paper Pass to Mobile Pass, Do we need to return the Eurail Physical Paper Pass…?? I mean do we need to send it back by a courier service…??

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If we want to exchange the Paper Pass to Mobile Pass, Do we need to return the Eurail Physical Paper Pass…?? I mean do we need to send it back by a courier service…??

Probably. But first contact customer service, as stated in the FAQ:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/interrail-mobile-pass/mobile-pass-faq/can-i-exchange-my-mobile-pass-for-paper-pass

Best way to contact customer service is this form:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Mention when you want to start your trip (a concrete date), so they can correctly prioritise your request.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The standard Interrail exchange policy requires you to purchase your new pass (at today’s price) and then return your old pass for a refund of its original price minus a small handling fee. This clearly expects the new pass to be different in duration or timing to the original.

Unfortunately if you bought the pass at a discount price AND it is exchangeable (many weren’t), you will only be able to get a refund based on the price you paid and will have to pay full price for the new mobile pass.

As others have posted you can only hope that IR make an exception, but since the original pass is not compromised (i.e. there are no reasons it cannot be used) and was possibly non-exchangeable I suspect it is a lost cause.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

you will only be able to get a refund based on the price you paid and will have to pay full price for the new mobile pass.

@Yorkie The passes on the 50% sale were non-refundable and non-exchangable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

you will only be able to get a refund based on the price you paid and will have to pay full price for the new mobile pass.

@Yorkie The passes on the 50% sale were non-refundable and non-exchangable. 

I was being cautious as I seem to remember there were a few that may have been refundable, but that was a few months ago. Obviously each promotional pass has its own T&Cs included with the purchase. and I was referring to the standard process when available.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Many thanks for all your helpful responses. Much appreciated.  I have decided to stick with my paper pass after all.  Rvdborgt’s answer in particular reassured me. I did eventually get a response from Eurail, but they advised I needed to go to ATOC, the original issuer. Not worth the time and effort to do this if my paper pass works just as well.