Conductor can't scan my pass

Urgent I am currently in Germany about to board the next Train and I can see my rail pass is valid however the ticket inspector can't scan the QR code. What should I do? 

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Tell him he shall read it normally on your phone as he learned to do before there where online tickets.

And what exactly is his problem? Is he unable to scan, or does his scan app say that the ticket wouldnt be valid?

He scanned my QR code and nothing shows op on his screen which is weird the same happend with my travel buddy but the written tekst Cleary says valid on 28-07

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Tell him that in case of doubt it is only relevant what the app of the ticket holder shows. And if he dont agrees he should show you the place in SCIC-RPT tariff that states something else!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Tell him that in case of doubt it is only relevant what the app of the ticket holder shows. And if he dont agrees he should show you the place in SCIC-RPT tariff that states something else!

Agreed. All information that is in the barcode is also available in normal text on the phone screen, underneath the barcode.

Edit: you can also kindly suggest the staff to contact their helpdesk, since scanning a valid Interrail barcode results in an unexpected result.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Urgent I am currently in Germany about to board the next Train and I can see my rail pass is valid however the ticket inspector can't scan the QR code. What should I do? 

Which trainnumber? I could call an advise the train chief 

I have started my first journey and 3 minutes i14nto it the ticket collector came along, scannedy ticket and told me it was not valid in Germany !  There was no arguing with him, he printed me out an invoice for 265 Euros on his little gadget and told me I had 14 days to pay it.  What a start to a journey that was meant to be for pleasure !  What should I do ?

EDIT : Next leg of the journey : the ticket collector has no problem with my ticket and does not understand why his colleague did.  However, his device told him I had boarded the train in Berlin and was travelling to Dusseldorf be - neither of which is correct !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please contact customer support with details about which train, date, time etc.

Did he say why your pass would not be valid in Germany?

Could you post a screenshot of the journey in My Trip?

If it was in a Deutsche Bahn train, then you can contest your fine here.

He said it was not valid because his device said so.  Please note my edit above. I'll try to post a screenshot, but it will show all my personal details to all visitors of this page will it not ?  I can't say I'm too keen on that ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you post a screenshot from My Trip, there should not be any personal details.

If his device says no, then that's no reason to say it's not valid. All details for checking tickets are also available below the barcode.

If all is OK, then it should not be a problem to board the next train.

This is the third time I am trying to answer …

I told the ticket collector that it was all there as text under the QR code, but he was not open to arguments.  The scurrilous aspect is that he did not say the ticket was not valid, but that it was not valid in Germany.  Where else should a ticket for a German train on a German rail route be valid ?  

This is from "My trip".

I am on the third German train today, and neither of the other ticket collectors has had any problem with my ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your journey looks OK. If you go back to the overview in My Trip, does it show, to the right of the date, an icon "Out/In”?

It does.  And in "my pass", where there is s link to the actual ticket, there is one saying "outbound/inbound", also in light green.  This, too, I pointed out to the ticket collector ...  This also appears on the ticket itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

OK, this sounds like a problem on the staff side or with his device. Your pass is absolutely fine and valid.

Do contact customer support with details about when and where it happened, because they will contact DB. Failing to read the barcode should never lead to a fine and staff should have been instructed to read the info below the barcode.

Also contest your fine here, saying you had a valid ticket. You could send a screenshot of your QR code and the information below it, including the trains. Normally, that should be the end of it. Don't wait, because they want payment or contestation within 14 days, if I understand correctly. The sooner, the better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes-they are very, very strict once such a thing has been started in DE. You MUST ´contest´ the fine/fee and this will-in the end-lead to someone examining the case. If you do not do that, after indeed 2 weeks the whole juridical procedures will start moving.