Solved

Copenhagen to Paris: what happens if missed connections?

• 12 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone,

I’m planning for my last day of my Interail Global Pass to go from Copenhagen to Paris next June.

The best trip I found out is leaving Copenhagen at 6:56 with 3 short transfers:

• One in Fredericia st. : 7 minutes
  • One in Hamburg Hbf : 19 minutes
  • One in Mannheim Hbf : 11 minutes to get the TGV at 17:38 (I have a booking)

My question is: in case I would miss the last connection in Mannheim, because of train delays, can I take the following ICE train at 19:40 without reservation? 

It is important for me to know as it will my last pass day. 

Do you think that this trip, although officialy proposed by DB on their website, with short connections is unrealistic? 

Thank you for your advices

icon

Best answer by mcadv 12 February 2023, 14:53

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NOT without you also doing some more: ALL main DE stations have some info post, and there you go and tell the situation-yes, basic /en/ will be understood. Then they check how full-or not that next train is or what other ALT there may be. The railways has the obligation to help you out without this costing you extra. It may be a prob if the next train is fully booked and also even more to help you out when the very last day of your pass expires-there are/should be rules for that but there may be a wide cliff between theory and practice.

It is also very well possible that staff in train to MA is informed-it is wise to tell about this connection when they check-and they may even already have arranged something if that train is a little late-this may be announced via loudspeaker just before arr. there.

Such late running and connections missed are very, very common every day in DE (other as many people think the trains there are often very UNpunctual-up to 40% seriously late), so they also have loads of experinece in how to deal with it. And you will not be the one and only in the same situation.

Rian v.d. Borgt is THE expert in such maters and can tell exactly what the rules are.