Could you please help us which Global Pass to take?

• 24 November 2023
  • 30 replies

Badge

Please can you confirm that this is the best Global Pass we should purchase for our trip this December. This would be our itinerary plan.

Hope to receive you earliest response. Thank you

# of Country

Train Travel Date

Country

Travel

Time

Seat Requirement

21-Dec

Paris, France to Barcelona Sants Spain

7 hrs

14:42 - 21:27

Seat reservation required

25-Dec

Barcelona Sants, Spain to Lyon Part Dieu, France

5 hrs

08:00 - 13:20

26-Dec

Lyon Part Dieu, France to Bern, Switzerland

5 hrs

09:38- 13:56

No Seat reservation required

28-Dec

Bern, Switzerland to Prague-Holesovice, Czech Republic

13 hrs

20:04 - 09:14

30-Dec

Prague-Holesovice, Czech Republic  to Dresden, Germany

2 hrs

2-Jan

PRAGUE, Czech Republic to Vienna, Austria

4 Hrs

12:44 - 16:49

3-Jan

Vienna, Austria to Salzburg, Austria

2 hrs

5-Jan

Vienna, Austria to Bratislava, Slovakia

1 hr

6-Jan

Vienna, Austria to Budapest, Hungary

2 hrs

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'd get a 10 days within 2 months pass as it is currently on sale : 25% discount. 1st class doesn't cost a lot more btw and you get free optional reservations in Austria, Germany and Czechia (through ÖBB, the Austrian state company).

It is only slightly more expensive than a 5 days pass without discount (and cheaper than a 7 day pass).

Some advice about reservations :

Trains will be very busy around Christmas and New Year. Book ASAP those which require reservations.

- 35€ mandatory reservation for the Paris - Barcelona TGV (tickets cost 250€ per person!)

- the AVE between Barcelona and Lyon cannot be booked online at the moment (a shame). Either you wait and get the 10€ reservations in Barcelona (a bit risky) or you buy a regular ticket and save a pass day : at the moment they cost 45€ in 2nd class and 50€ in 1st. I'd do that honestly.

- the night train between Basel and Prague is full but fortunately you can take the other one between Zurich and Prague : 20:40 departure, 10:39 arrival. Leave Bern at 19:02. 116€ for a private double sleeper (good value) -> use nightjet.com or cd.cz

I'd make reservations for Prague - Vienna, Vienna - Salzburg (and back) and Vienna - Budapest. Trains will be very busy. Use oebb.at : 3€ per train in 2nd class, free in 1st class (with a 1st class pass). Seat map included.

Questions welcome.

Badge

Thank you for your assistance, I will 1st purchase the 10 days within 2 months pass. Moreover, my Mom will turn 60yrs on 21Dec, should I consider her now as Senior or still select Adult? Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Moreover, my Mom will turn 60yrs on 21Dec, should I consider her now as Senior or still select Adult? Thanks in advance

The age on the start date of the validity period is what counts, so she qualifies for a senior pass.

Badge

Thank you so much! 

Badge

Hello, This schedule means we can hop in since there is no seat reservation requested, right. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It's not required but since you will be travelling during a very busy period, reservations are recommended. They should be free of charge in 1st class on tickets.oebb.at: add the Eurail/Interrail discount and then select "One-way tickets”.

In addition, it's only for seats that reservations are not required. If you'd like a couchette or sleeper, you have to make a reservation and it's very much expected that couchettes and sleepers will be fully booked some time in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As I said in my other post couchettes and sleepers are full on this train. Don't try to board the seating carriage or you'll probably have to stand/sit on the floor the whole night. Not what you want !

The very good alternative is the other Zurich - Prague night train. It leaves at 20:40, meaning you have to leave Bern at 19:02 for a safe margin.

116€ for a private double sleeper. Good value, book ASAP on nightjet.com or cd.cz !

EDIT : looks like you could get a private double sleeper too on the other night train through cd.cz. This route is more expensive though : 4438 CZK (180€).

Badge

This Global Pass 1st class cannot go to Greece or Turkey (EU) side?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can use it in Greece and Turkey (entire country) but there are no international trains to Greece and there's only 1 international train to Turkey.

Badge

Hi, just a quick question. We are still thinking about this trip. We just want to make sure we have seats on this 12hrs trip. I have checked on the https://shop.oebbtickets.at/ . I am a little confused, Can you PLEASE help us if we should pay this 9€? I am travelling with 2 seniors and just don't want them to get tired of changing trains. Thank you in advance.

Do you  have also an idea why there is no drop down for us to be able to buy tickets, like on the other timings. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah you're 3 people. It would've been helpful to say that from the start.

I do not recommend getting a seat, even more with seniors. You won't be able to sleep honestly, you'll be exhausted the next day and hate the experience overall.

Spend a bit extra for a sleeper. There are 3 people compartments available.

- EN Zürich HB - Praha hl.n. 20:40 - 10:39 135€ (45€ per person)

As far as I can see there is a single compartment left. Book ASAP.

EDIT : 5196 CZK (202€) for a triple compartment on Basel - Prague through ČD. See my above posts.

Badge

Oops! Apologies, Thank you!😊

However, upon checking, the nightjet has timetable; what is the risk of this schedule?

Badge

I can’t find what you are saying.

the only option is this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Have you added Eurail/Interrail as discount for all passengers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

€315 is the regular price without a pass. You have to indicate you have a pass, for all 3 passengers.

Badge

hello, could you screenshot where I can indicate the pass for 3 passengers? Thanks a lot for the help

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Click on discount cards and write Eurail.

Badge

Thank you really so much for your help, should I be worried on this message after I booked this trip?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, timetables are now definite and they should remove that notice.

Of course delays can still happen but that's another issue.

Badge

Yes, you are correct!  I’m about to purchase these three tickets now. 

Thank you so much for all of your assistance!! I really do appreciate it! 😊

This trip is for my Mother! It’s her 60th birthday. This evening's sleep train ride is another item checked off her bucket list.

Badge

Sadly, the option is no longer valid.

Badge

Could you please give us the best advice if we can use the Eurail Global Pass from Barcelona to Madrid? Or what could be the fastest train we can ride for a day-trip tour to Madrid? Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sadly, the option is no longer valid.

Ah that's the same bug as another thread… nightjet.com seems to have some issues.

The other night train (via Basel) should be available through cd.cz. Let me check

EDIT : Zurich (19:59) - Basel (21:13) - Prague night train on cd.cz : 5196 CZK (213€) for a 3 people sleeper. More expensive but it should be a great experience nonetheless ! This one should be available for real as I can get carriage and berth numbers at checkout.

To get the discount (= pay only the reservation) click on Add another passenger and select Eurail Global Pass in the list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Could you please give us the best advice if we can use the Eurail Global Pass from Barcelona to Madrid? Or what could be the fastest train we can ride for a day-trip tour to Madrid? Thank you. 

Eurail is valid on trains run by RENFE but not on competitors like Ouigo, Iryo, Avlo.

Reservations cost 10€ (more in 1st class pass but you get a small meal) and should be available on eurail.com.

I'd choose the non-stop trains : they can do Barcelona - Madrid in 2h30. Departures at 06:20, 07:00, 07:40 and later (times may vary depending on the day). Book ASAP if you intend to travel right before Christmas.

Badge

Thank you so much for all of your assistance!! I really do appreciate it! 😊😊