Solved

Country of birth (Cuba) not available on the reservations page

• Full steam ahead
  • 3 replies

I bought an eurail pass but apparently i can't use it because my country of birth is not available on the drop down menu under reservations !!! I was born in Cuba but I'm a US Citizen with an American passport. What am I supposed to do in this case? I'm trying to request a refund but I dont even see an option for it and the customer service is nonexistent. 

icon

Best answer by Nanja 14 April 2022, 14:09

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I can see, the order form does not ask for the country of birth. It is not important.

The order form asks for the country of residence, so where you live. That would be United States in your case.

If you do see country of birth somewhere, could you please post a screenshot of the page?

Thank you for your response. Here are the screenshots where it asks about place of birth

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do I understand correctly that you see this screen when trying to buy a reservation? If so, for which train exactly? (origin, destination, date, departure time)

I haven't seen this before, so I'm wondering how to get to that screen. It looks like the screen "Traveler details” but then with country and city of birth added. Maybe it is linked to the train: some countries want to know more details than others.

Yes, I get this screen when trying to complete my reservation with the Frecciarossa train  in Italy, from Rome to Naples at the end of April. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeed, now I also see it. @Leo, is this the Italian government who wants to know who is traveling? And isn't it a bug that Cuba is missing?

Anyway, the good news is that Italian reservations can also be made via ÖBB using these steps. ÖBB doesn't ask for your country of birth and doesn't charge any extra fees, so it's also cheaper :)

thank you for your help rvdborgt, i really appreciate it. I will try booking my reservation with that other site. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Is not this the obligatory Pass GReen for the covid-controls that are still so prevalent in ITaly?

@cubano: to travel on any transit in IT you must have what is called Green Pass=show that you have been vaccinated for covid.  People from the EU can easily get a common QR-code for that, USAers have to Indeed exchange their own old-fashioned things to it-check details on a site/forum like tripadvisor. Its strange that the list mentions tiny islands without probably anyone coming to IT but forgets a country with a few million people.

Note that it MAY be named different- we are dutch and often see same problem: countryname is Nederland, but very often named as THE Netherlands, maybe its Peopleś Republic of Fidel Castro?

I am having this same issue. I live in Canada with my husband who has also lived here his entire life. However, he was born in Iran. Iran is not an option on the menu when selecting a “country of birth” as specified on the form above. I am not sure why countries have been omitted here as it does not ask for country of residence/destination of origin. Very frustrating 😩

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am having this same issue. I live in Canada with my husband who has also lived here his entire life. However, he was born in Iran. Iran is not an option on the menu when selecting a “country of birth” as specified on the form above. I am not sure why countries have been omitted here as it does not ask for country of residence/destination of origin. Very frustrating 😩

Which train are you trying to book? (origin, destination, date, departure time) If it's a day train in Italy, you can use ÖBB (with these steps), who don't need so many details and who don't charge booking fees.

Hello,

Yes, I tried this OBB site. However, I cannot find any of my routes here. Also, I have purchased first class passes for us. Will we be able to book first class seats using this site? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If your travel date is 12 June or later, you'll have to be more patient. Trenitalia's summer timetable has just been published on their own website and needs some time to be distributed to other systems. The good thing is that pass holder seats in Italian domestic trains are not quota controlled, so there's no rush.

And yes, ÖBB can also book 1st class seats.

Thank you, I shall wait!

In the meantime, is there a reason some countries are not included in the Eurail checkout menu for country of birth? I can understand with COVID restrictions why some countries might not be listed for country of residence. However, country of birth?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the meantime, is there a reason some countries are not included in the Eurail checkout menu for country of birth? I can understand with COVID restrictions why some countries might not be listed for country of residence. However, country of birth?

I have no clue, although I doubt this is COVID-related.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi NLR, I have passed it on to the relevant team to look into it. I will get back to you once I know more. 

Thank you for your help! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @yc94 and NLR, due to other priorities, this may not be picked up right away. We are looking into it and try to solve it as soon as possible, but as it can take some time I advise you to book at the station or via alternative options if you need them soon. Cheers,