Solved

Cross-border add-on fares

• 10 May 2023
  • 3 replies

If I have a one country IR pass for Germany but want to travel on an ICE starting over the border in Strasbourg do I need to buy a single ticket from Strasbourg to the border station, Kehl (regardless of the fact that the train doesn’t stop there) or is it necessary to buy a single from Strasbourg to the first station in Germany at which the train stops (Karlsruhe)? All help appreciated!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 10 May 2023, 17:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

https://public-pf.b-europe.com/en/Producten/Details?id=869946ec-df2e-4e5f-846f-dcbb2b2befe9

As seat reservations are mandatory until Karlsruhe, you'd need to buy a Pass 3 fare at railway stations but you can maybe call SNCF, DB, NS, SNCB,... Someone else will be able to answer

A full-fare ticket Strasbourg - Karlsruhe would surely be more expensive

Other option : regional train to Offenburg (pass valid from Kehl) and then any train to your destination. Way less expensive (only 4€)

Thanks. That's a new one on me: I’ve never heard of a Pass3! Will try to find out more on price and where to buy it. Strasbourg-Karlsruhe is always pretty pricey, as you say - presumably an attempt to deter relatively short-distance trips.

Offenburg is an option but it adds a bit of time to the journey.

Thanks for the advice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Other option : regional train to Offenburg (pass valid from Kehl) and then any train to your destination. Way less expensive (only 4€)

Pass is valid from Kehl(Gr), the border tariff point, not only from Kehl station. For the regional train, you either need a ticket to that border tariff point (not available online) or a ticket from the last station in France. The latter may or may not be cheaper.