Solved

Crossing the English Channel (Calais - Dover)

• 26 October 2022
  • 8 replies

I want to use a Day for my travel from Bruxelles to Southampton, traveling by ferry. (Eurostar was not an option for me)

I selected one morning connection from Bruxelles to Calais, and then another one in the afternoon continuing from Dover on to Southampton, but unless I'm missing something, it seems like my app won’t accept this as one whole day trip? What must I do to make this work as one whole day trip?
Also, I assume that I must take the time zones into account, so if I book a departure time for a train in Britain, it means GMT and not CET, correct?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 26 October 2022, 23:33

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I want to use a Day for my travel from Bruxelles to Southampton, traveling by ferry. (Eurostar was not an option for me)
I selected one morning connection from Bruxelles to Calais, and then another one in the afternoon continuing from Dover on to Southampton, but unless I'm missing something, it seems like my app won’t accept this as one whole day trip?

What makes you think your app doesn't accept this?

What do you mean by "one whole day trip”?

Also, I assume that I must take the time zones into account, so if I book a departure time for a train in Britain, it means GMT and not CET, correct?

Timetables are all using local times.

thank you for the fast reply. by “one whole day” I meant the travel day. when I first planned the connection, I though that once I activated the switch for the travel day, it would limit my trip to the Bruxelles-Calais route, because it didn’t include the British connection, but after some tries I figured out that I could simply add further connection. Was a bit worried at first but now everything seems to be fine.

thank you again for your help in clarifying this

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Also DO inform yourself about the ways to make this bus-ferry-bus trip, as only 1 comp allows it and as foot-pax are becoming a rarity only allowed on mid-day trips. Last reports told there was also the need to REServe your trip.

In fact it is often both cheaper and easier and even quicker to use a bus (coach for GB) from BRU till Dover port-or even LON (Vict.)

Badge +5

Only P & O take foot passengers. You do need to book a ticket online (£30 but sometimes £45) - they are NOT sold at Dover port - I don’t know about Calais. It is a slow frustrating business. Only limited ferries take foot passengers. Check in is 90 minutes before departure! Foot passengers cannot disembark until at least 20 mins after the boat docks as at Calais a bus comes onto the car deck to collect foot passengers.  It’s a taxi or a longish walk at Dover (but well signed). At Calais there is a regular bus until 19:00. Then nothing! Calais taxi drivers do not like going to the port so be prepared to walk 3.5km to get to the Ville station. Fortunately I persuaded the hotel owner to come and pick me up.  I only made the trip to follow the old classic route from London to Paris but I wouldn’t recommend it. Catering on the ship is very poor unless you pay an extra £24 for the club lounge. I agree with the previous post if you can’t get on Eurostar go on the coach. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Are Hook of Holland to Harwich, or even Rotterdam to Hull possible routes?

Hi there, might be a silly question but does the Eurail Global Rail pass cover train travel from London to Paris? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, might be a silly question but does the Eurail Global Rail pass cover train travel from London to Paris? Thanks

You can use Eurostar but you'll need a reservation. Check availability here:

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Thanks for that, all booked. Tried booking a leg from Paris to Lago de Garda but bookings for that don’t open til 90 days before. Cheers