Solved

Do I HAVE to buy a seat reservation?

• 25 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a pass for 4 days of travel in 1 month. My trips are Amsterdam-Paris, Paris-London, and a few others in between TBD. The two trips I do have saved say “seat reservation required 32€” and “seat reservation required 34€”. Now, last year when I asked a train attendant a question about my train’s arrival, they said I shouldn’t have paid extra for seats after buying the pass. When I look on the app under “My Pass” it says under the trips saved “All set! Show your ticket during inspection.” 

My question is, do I HAVE to pay extra for a seat reservation after buying the pass? Has anyone just showed up and all has been just fine? Thanks in advance!! 

icon

Best answer by Al_G 25 September 2023, 05:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, reservations are compulsory on the Thalys and Eurostar. And they can sell out, so but then as soon as you can.

You can avoid the fee for Paris-Amsterdam by taking much slower trains, but it will take you 8 hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The requirement to have a reservation entirely depends on which train company and route you travel on.

The high speed Amsterdam - Paris and Paris - London Eurostar trains always require reservations, you will not be able to just turn up with your pass and travel.

Both of these routes also have quotas for passholders and should be booked well in advance of travel, use this link for availability and booking. https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Amsterdam - Paris has slower and cheaper rail alternatives, Paris - London is the only rail link.

If you have difficulty or want the alternatives feel free to ask.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you are using “Express” trains in the UK reservations are optional but advised for peak trains, especially when going on LNER to the North. These are free from the LNER site and GWR offer a service for most other operators.