Solved

Do you need need seat reservations with first class

• 10 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Am traveling to Europe and got the Eurorail pass first class for seniors. Do we still need to pay for seat reservations? I thought they were included. 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 10 March 2023, 20:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Seat reservations are not included. If you saw any information that a Eurail pass includes seat reservations, then could you please post the URL(s)?

So if the train has an option of no seat reservations required and we have the first class pass we would just go to the first class section and get a seat? I guess that’s where I’m confused.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If no seat reservations are required, that's indeed the case. Just board, and find a seat. 

If you want more help, concerning reservations, then please provide more details. Which train are you talking about, when do you plan to travel, between wich stations you want to travel? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So if the train has an option of no seat reservations required and we have the first class pass we would just go to the first class section and get a seat? I guess that’s where I’m confused.

As long as there are free seats you get a seat. Your Eurail pass just gives you the right to travel with trains run by the included railway companies, not the right to a seat. 

Some trains have mandatory reservation and there you get a seat as you must have a reservation. 

For trains with optional reservations, the travelers having reservations have priority to the seats. For such trains it is wise to check the experienced occupancy and make a reservation if occupancy is expected to be high.

For trains without reservations you just find a free seat.