Solved

Does Eurail Global Pass give access to all trains?

• 18 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello everyone! have a quick question.

I am trying to book the “10 days in 2 months” Global pass, and I am wondering if it covers all trains. My friend and I are booking our first Europe trip. When I clicked to see the benefits of the pass, I saw the following trajectories:

Are those the only trains I have access to? Or are those examples of trips I can make across Europe?

For example, one of our routes we are trying to do is London -- Brussels -- Amsterdam. Would this pass cover it or we need to get individual tickets. 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 18 April 2023, 21:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

With a Global pass you can freely travel across all the participating countries at will. There are some private operators not in the network, but these are few and far between. Numbers well in excess of 90% of trains in Europe are usable.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can take 99% of European trains, really. The only catch is that you need to add mandatory seat reservations on high-speed trains in France, Spain and Italy.

• 30€ Eurostar London - Brussels (it’s expensive but it’s the only way to get to mainland Europe). Book early as those seat reservations can sell out weeks in advance.
  • Brussels - Amsterdam : take the hourly reservation-free IC and not the Thalys train (unnecessary 27€ fee)
  • 10€ for high-speed trains and 3€ for IC in Italy
  • limited 10€, then 20€ for French TGVs
  • more expensive for cross-border TGVs but they can be avoided

And the Eurail Global Pass really covers all routes. It gives you so much flexibility compared to advance tickets as you can simply hop on hop off trains (when there are no mandatory reservations obviously)

Let us know for questions :)