Solved

Does it work to travel with the same train twice?

• 2 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Hey there,

I am planning on travelling to Italy from Vienna. My girlfriend is staying in Sicily for three months and I’d like to visit her as many times as possible, but I also have to work. So I decided that I will visit her once every month, time wise the 15 days in 2 months would work. 
Mu question is, does it work to travel Vienna - Taormina , Taormina - Vienna in April / Vienna - Milazzo, Milazzo - Vienna in may and Vienna - Milazzo , Milazzo - Vienna in June ? I get it that you can’t do inbound travel more than one time, so I thought about travelling only once through Austria with the interrail ticket and buy a regular one through the Öbb. But is it possible to have the same destination more than once? So say I travel Bozen - milazzo and then again milazzo - Bozen. 
I hope you can find an answer for me, because I would love to use train for travelling.

All the best,

Phil.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 2 April 2022, 12:56

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There's no restriction on how many times you travel where, except for the max. 2 travel days in your country of residence. You'll indeed need to buy extra tickets to/from the Austrian border for any extra journeys in Austria.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Or get that brand new Klimaticket-this will cover any trip for the whole yr till Grenze. Selber mal nachrechnen was am besten auskommt.

In that case you could also check if the 1-country IT would work out cheaper.

Ok thank you for the replies I appreciate it :)

Hey, so my girlfriend actually just tried to travel the same way back that she came from (Hamburg - Lühneburg / Lühneburg - Hamburg) and it said invalid ticket. That was basically my question, if I’ll be able to travel the same way back that I came from. Do you guys have any experience with that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey, so my girlfriend actually just tried to travel the same way back that she came from (Hamburg - Lühneburg / Lühneburg - Hamburg) and it said invalid ticket. That was basically my question, if I’ll be able to travel the same way back that I came from. Do you guys have any experience with that?

Never had this issue but some ticketinspectors of German rail have problems to read the QR Code with their devices. Then they should do it the old style with reading it with their eyes.
Another issue that happen yet few times that Eurail travleler logged the wrong train for example they logged ICE 548 and in reallity they travel on ICE 558.

You can use the Railpass on which direction you want on a travelday :)
I did several times like that to cut down the waiting times on stations :)
Like Roma Termini -  Rome Airport - Roma Termini or Wien Hbf - Vienna Airport - Wien Hbf

Amazing, thank‘s guys :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I've seen more reports from Germany that the staff's devices sometimes say "invalid”. However this does not necessarily mean that is really invalid and @seewulf said, staff must first read the information below the barcode to verify. All information they need it there in readable format.