Solved

Does the Global Pass work on Austrian Buses?

• 30 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I went to the Austrian rail site OEBB and did a search between some smaller towns, and it gave me bus routes instead of train routes. Does the Global Pass cover those buses? It seems they might be operated by OBB or affiliated with it. For example between Oztal and Reutte. 

(By the way, I did a search from Vienna to Hallstat on the Eurail site and it came up empty, so thats why I started using the OEBB site)

icon

Best answer by mcadv 30 August 2022, 07:30

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No.

Indeed OeBB is a major transporter in Austria-and they also run many buses (a few 1000)-this as result of former merger of POSTbuses (in the distant past used to transport both the people and the mails) and BAHNbuses. ALL these buses are now organised by the ´Länder´ (think of as provinces/regions) and most have a livery of that region. The regions set the fares-many have quite attractive day- or other tickets. Also in most tipical holiday regions the ´Guestcard´ you get when staying may vover free use of local buses. Similar situations also exist in Germany, and in the Swiss the yellow POSTBuses are very famous.

In Salzburgerland on FRI all transit is free for now-untill finished- as ´petrol free´ days. This includes several Postbuses lines to famous places like St. Johann or St. Anton-am Wolfgangsee.

In Steiermark and Kärnten are very cheap sat/sun daytickets for 11€

In Tirol there is a 7-day weekly for all transit (incl the trains IN the Land) for about 44€.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Only ÖBB Intercity Bus between Graz and Klagenfurt and between Villach and Venice. And also rail replacement busses. 

Hi,Global EuRail pass can cover ÖBB bus route in Australia?for Salzburg to Hallstatt ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Huanming.lu no, only the train to Hallstadt. The train stops in oposit of the town. You need to get to the other side by ship (not included in the pass).