Solved

Eurail 15 Days in 2 Months Global Pass

• 24 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • Full steam ahead
  • 30 replies

My wife and I each have a 15 days in 2 months 2nd class global pass at discount costing  €27.03 per person per day. We are going to use 10 travel days for intercountry travels.

For the remaining 5 travel days, what is the best use of each travel so that we get maximum return for the money we paid for each travel day?

This might be a silly question. Can a travel day be used for things other than train travel or travel in general?

We are considering days trips from London to Stonehenge, Amsterdam to Zaanse Schans and Florence to Pisa. My reseach suggests that use a travel for each of these in not good value. Is that right?

icon

Best answer by FTE23 26 July 2023, 23:01

View original

7 replies

For instance, Firenze to Pisa does cost 9,30 € one-way even if bought at the station so using a travel day for this is no good value but of course it's possible to do.

Amsterdam to Zaandijk Zaanse Schans is 3,70 € one-way so I think it's pretty clear…

To get more for your money you'd need to do longer day trips that do cost more. But it's up to you if it does make sense to do long(er) day trips just because of that…

London to Stonehenge is the only trip that would cost more than 27,03 € if bought at the station. But the train does get you just nearby…

And of course a travel day is for traveling. 

Badge

Hi Hektor,

I did a spreadsheet on the cost and usage which showed savings buying the Eurail passes for the journeys planned. We are interested in maximising the dollar value of leftover travel days and possible use for other activity other than travel.

From your comments regarding train to Stonehenge and what I read online, I presume I still have find other means of transport from the arrival train station to Stonehenge.

Thank you for your reply and time. Have a nice day.

Hello! I have 15 day in 2 months pass but showing as 15 consecutive days do I deactivate and reactivate as I go? Says global pass 15 days on purchase thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are you sure you bought the right pass ? There is the 15 days continuous pass and the 15 days in 2 months pass.

If you bought the wrong one contact customer support to exchange passes (price difference + 15€ fee) : https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

In any case do not activate your pass in advance to avoid problems. For example suddenly you wake up ill, there are strikes, etc. = travel day lost.

Thank you. I think it maybe because we used a discount code which was applicable to 15 days rather than the 15 days in 2 months? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don't know, I've never heard of discount on a specific Global Pass.

It is not possible to deactivate/activate the pass during the validity period so I guess your only option is exchanging it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you. I think it maybe because we used a discount code which was applicable to 15 days rather than the 15 days in 2 months? 

Normally discounted passes are not refundable nor exchangeable but you need to check the exact conditions of your pass.