Eurail and the trains in England

• 10 June 2022
  • 1 reply

For those of you travelling in England, the Eurail pass works on most BritRail lines (including the ThamesLink and the new Elizabeth Line).  It does NOT work on the Heathrow Express, despite what’s on the Eurail information.  However, the good news is that, with the new Elizabeth line in London, you don’t need the Heathrow Express.  The Elizabeth line trains run from Paddington Station to Heathrow often (I think about every 20 minutes) and are wonderful  I just travelled from Brighton (on the Thameslink) to Heathrow in a little over 2 ½ hours.  For some reason, the Eurail QR code doesn’t work on any of the BritRail scanners, but just go to one of the wonderful station workers and they’ll get you through.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There was another minor tiny prob noted some time before: some of the multitude of colourful british TOC=train Operating Comp. does not handle any QR-codes or fones and thus is so adamant that a mobile pass cannot work on their sacred lines/system. Somewhere to the south of LONdon.

Also there is since a few monthes a new start-up low-cost (well, to british tastes) LuMO, doing also LONdon-Edinburgh-just a few trains/day beside the other main service running ev 60 or evn 30 mins. LuMO should, but as for now is not (yet?0 equipped to accept passes &all that-I understand its like EasyRyan a fully reserved thing.