Solved

Eurail Global Pass vs Swiss Travel Pass for Europe Trip for a family trip

• 3 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi Community, 

I need your help to plan train travel plan.

We are two family traveling together ( 4 Adults, 2 Seniors, 1 youth, 2 kids) to Europe ( Amsterdam, Paris, Switzerland). Here is the tentative itinerary in May:

Day 1: Reach Amsterdam.

Day3: Amsterdam to Paris travel.

Day5: Paris to Lucerne travel

Travel within Swiss. Lucerne to intelaken. use cable cars, boats etc.

Day9: Lucerne to Zurich airport.

I am confused between buying Eurail ticket vs Swiss travel pass. What would you recommend ? Thanks

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 3 February 2024, 12:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What are you going to do in Lucerne ? Boats, cable cars, trains ?

Since you're looking far in advance it might be better to get advance tickets for Amsterdam - Paris - Basel (ASAP for the best fares) + half-fare card and tickets within Switzerland, giving you lots of flexibility.

It probably also depends on which date these journeys fall : (holiday) weekends will be more expensive. Check advance ticket prices for your dates on eurostar.com and sncf-connect.com.

Thanks @thibcabe . I will be traveling within swiss using trains again ( between Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, etc). Also, would like to use boats and trams as well.

Do you recommend direct trains from Amsterdam - Paris - Basel. and take a swiss pass within travel in Swiss ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes I'd get advance tickets for Amsterdam - Paris - Basel (really get them as soon as your dates are set as those routes are very popular).

Then either Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half-fare card (120 CHF for a month) + half-fare point-to-point tickets as you go and/or half-fare Saver Day Passes bought in advance (for long journeys for example). You should make some calculations to compare the two.