Solved

Eurail or Interail for UK citizen but Hong Kong resident

Badge +2

I am wondering which pass is appropriate - or indeed, whether I would have the choice / right to buy either?

I am a UK citizen (with UK passport) but have long term residence in Hong Kong. I have a Hong Kong identity card, but not a Hong Kong passport. 

It looks as though the Eurail would be the best option as it would allow me more travel in the UK. Would an ID card be accepted for this, or do you have to have an overseas passport? I assume with the online passes they link up / verify passport numbers in some way - would I therefore fail to activate the pass with just an ID card and no passport?

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 8 July 2022, 17:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you are a resident of Hong Kong and can prove that, as you can with your ID, then you can buy an Eurail pass. 

A passport and citizenship has nothing to do with where you are a resident, even if most people also are citizens of the country they live in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Logical thinking: IF there are probs raised, it will be in GB-and as local fares there are sky-high and conductors very much trained to protect ´revenue income´ it will be there. So you need to be much certain you have enough proof of evidence that you do not live in UK.

There have been cases in the past where Brits stayed just long enough ´ on the continent´ to get domicile there and then do ´line bashing´ on what once as Britsh Rail. At  afraction of the cost what it would cost buying locally.

Badge +2

Thanks for the answers!

I appreciate that I most often won’t get asked for any proof. But I want to make sure I am OK if I do - especially as I will use it a fair but in the UK and my passport is from UK.

It is of course hard to prove “ that you do not live in UK.” In reality, what do train crew ask for / want to see? In my case, the Hong Kong identity card ((like many others) has name , date of birth, photo etc but it does not have a valid date nor does it show that you actually live there all or part of the year! I could carry employer letters, accommodation proof or something but is that really necessary?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It is of course hard to prove “ that you do not live in UK.” In reality, what do train crew ask for / want to see? In my case, the Hong Kong identity card ((like many others) has name , date of birth, photo etc but it does not have a valid date nor does it show that you actually live there all or part of the year! I could carry employer letters, accommodation proof or something but is that really necessary?

I don't think anyone here has a 100% answer but if you bring some proof like accommodation proof or so you would hopefully be fine.

You could write to UK rail or similar and ask what proof a UK citizen with a Eurail pass needs to prove residency in Hong Kong.