Eurail pass for non-European citizen

• 7 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi there, I am a New Zealand citizen wondering if I qualify for a Eurail pass, considering my current residency permit for the Netherlands. I would only be using it for the period of time which my residency permit is valid. I understand the place of residency listed when purchasing should match your passport,  but if I carry my residence permit with me then that is sufficient? Would appreciate any help. Thanks

7 replies

Hi, Harriettm

As a New Zealand citizen with a residency permit for the Netherlands, I had the same concern about qualifying for a Eurail pass. I found that carrying my residence permit with me was sufficient.

I purchased the pass using my passport information and had no issues while using it within the valid period of my residency permit.

So, based on my experience, you should be able to use your Eurail pass as long as you have your residence permit with you. Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No need to have the passport of your country of residence, a residence permit is enough.

Although no one will care if you buy a Eurail pass (no 2-day limitation in your country of residence), you should buy an Interrail pass :)

Thank you for your response. Curious to know why you think I should an Interrail pass over a Eurail pass? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Because that is the rule : if you live in Europe, you have to buy an Interrail pass.

However no one will bother to check your residence if you travel with your NZ passport

I was under the impression that Eurail is better because it is cheaper? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I was under the impression that Eurail is better because it is cheaper? Thanks

There's no price difference. Or where do you see a price difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Eurail is better in that way that you don't have the outbound/inbound rule that restricts the possibility to travel in your country of residence.