Eurail pass isn't worth it if you're mostly traveling to and from France

• 27 September 2022
  • 5 replies

I'd like to complain about any Eurail pass but especially the Global Eurail monthly pass and it's workings in France. I would not recommend using it if you're main travels are in and out of France.
The whole point of the Eurail pass is having flexibility in your travels  and between trips but sadly it really isn't possible.

It is absurd to me that I had to pay that much money for a free pass but I had to waste 2 whole travel days only to purchase train tickets inside of France (coming from Switzerland) and spend even more money because the pass isn't really helpful while traveling in France.

Now setting aside the fact that why should I even have to pay extra for a reservation, it is impossible to make the reservations online (especially for trains running to Paris). I tried going to a few large train stations in Switzerland and Germany and they could not help either. I had to ride to a large train station in France, waste 2 whole travel days and also pay extra. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations for trains to Paris are available online and when booked online available electronically (except for Paris-Barcelona). I'd be curious to hear which exact trains you couldn't book online.

I was trying to get from Vienna to Paris through different destinations with no luck, while purchasing 2 weeks ahead.
Sadly they weren’t available online, not even for the train vendors in 3 very large train stations, they told me to go especially to France due to its unavailability.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Whilst not leaving France until today via Eurostar we have just travelled around Cote dazure then TGV s to paris and Lille pre booked 2 weeks ago via B-Europe site without problems. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Paris-Vienna is possible directly via sleeper train (but they are almost every time full) bookable online via ÖBB or eurail.com, via Zürich or via Germany both bookable online only via eurail.com or ticket offices of SNCF or SBB. 

Also there are alternatives like using the high speed train only to the last station in France and changing there to local trains and from Germany/Switzerland there is only optional reservations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I was trying to get from Vienna to Paris through different destinations with no luck, while purchasing 2 weeks ahead.
Sadly they weren’t available online, not even for the train vendors in 3 very large train stations, they told me to go especially to France due to its unavailability.

Without details of the exact trains, it's very hard to say anything about the causes.