Solved

Eurail Pass Planning

• 25 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Good morning/evening, my son(18)  and I are planning a trip with flying into Amsterdam, Netherlands mid September, from Canada, and will be there for a few days. We then plan on going to Berlin, Hamburg, Munich and Frankfurt, in that order, with stays of 3-4 days at each place. I’m not sure what ‘pass’ or combination of ‘passes’ makes the most sense so we can travel from city to city and still use the local transit system in each location. Thanks for your help! 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 25 August 2023, 09:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Public transport in the cities (like bus, tram, metro (U-bahn)) are not included in the pass. Only trains are.

Per travel day, you can use as many trains as you like, as long as they are included in the pass. For your two countries, it’s practically all trains.

In Germany, the suburban rail network (S-bahn) is included, but usually it’s not worthwhile to use a pass day for that as tickets for it are generally cheap and there exist a lot of offers with multiple day passes including museum and attraction entrance + public transportation.

A five day global pass will do, unless you plan some days out of the cities, you might consider a 7 day pass.

You don’t need to worry about seat reservations in those two countries that time of the year, they’re only optional.

Sweeeeet that’s very helpful! Thank you for your help.