Solved

Eurail Pass / ticket purchase

• 5 June 2023
  • 8 replies

PLEASE HELP….. I have a Eurail pass for everyone in our travel party, and want to book / reserve seats for the Monterosso - Tirano trip on the 1st July.  Most sites keep telling me I cannot use my Eurail Pass but need to purchase tickets. Does anyone know whether I need to do this or whether I can somehow reserve seats with my pass?

When I go into seat reservations on the Eurail website, it only offers me trips that take 24hours or more, whereas Italia Rail and Trenatalia etc all let me book a great journey (around six hours), but say I need to buy the tickets and in fact say that a pass cannot be used for that trip.

I don’t want to miss out on seats, and so will buy tickets now if I need to - but am keen to know if there is some way I can do this and use our passes.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 5 June 2023, 02:51

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Eurail Pass will fully cover the journey, don't worry.

The timetable hasn't been implemented on Rail Planner yet.

The only seat reservation you'll need is the IC train between Monterosso and Milano Centrale (3€ per person). Italian trains are best booked through tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. 

Milano - Tirano : usually it's a direct train but there are 2 disruptions at the moment. The journey is still possible but count an extra hour. If Tirano is your destination, it's not a big deal. If you're going to St. Moritz, don't worry there are hourly trains but still plan accordingly.

1. Landslide between Lierna and Varenna. Solution -> rail replacement bus between Lecco and Colico until further notice. Timetable available on Trenord's website (PDF), not elsewhere.

2. Engineering works until mid-September between Sondrio and Tirano. Solution -> rail replacement bus between the 2.

If you let me know your final destination, I can suggest an itinerary.

That is so helpful thank you!

We are leaving Monterosso and heading to stay the night in Tirano. We will then get the Bernina Express the next day through to Chur.  I will go to the tickets.oebb.at site you suggested and see if I can make it all happen through there.

So appreciate your help.

Thank you again.

Actually…. when I went into that site, added in our starting point and destination etc….. this is what it came back with:  the LONG journeys of 13hours etc.    Is that what you would have expected? Thank you again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No the correct timetable doesn't appear anywhere at the moment, except on trenitalia.com (and even then I'm not sure).

Search only Monterosso - Milano Centrale through tickets.oebb.at. 

The journey would look like this as of today (things might change) :

- IC Monterosso - Milano Centrale 10:33 - 13:58 3€ per person

- RE Milano Centrale - Lecco 14:20 - 15:01

- Bus Lecco - Colico 15:05 - 15:57 (guaranteed connection)

- RE Colico - Sondrio 16:24 - 17:10

- Bus Sondrio - Tirano 17:17 - 18:06

Pass fully valid all the way

That is super helpful again….. thank you.

I will work on that plan for now and keep an eye on things as the date gets closer.

So appreciate your help.

Pass fully valid all the way

As I understand it the bus is a replacement bus and not a regular bus. However, it is not accessible in Rail Planner. Will the Interrail pass be valid on the bus if I enter it manually in the app? (Otherwise it’s not a big deal to pay € 3,50 for the bus.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As I understand it the bus is a replacement bus and not a regular bus. However, it is not accessible in Rail Planner. Will the Interrail pass be valid on the bus if I enter it manually in the app? (Otherwise it’s not a big deal to pay € 3,50 for the bus.)

The pass is valid in the replacement bus. If it's not in the planner, then first check for updates and set the minimum connection time lower than 5 minutes. If it still doesn't show up, then add it manually.

Changing the minimum connecting time did the trick. Now it shows up in the app. Thanks!