Solved

Eurail passes global

• 27 September 2023
  • 4 replies

When booking with a global pass for a set amount of times , i see on the dusseldorf to paris Thalys train on Dec 26th that there are  3 different options .
standard comfort and premium.
I'm assuming the global passes only allow us to book in the standard tickets right.

IM also wondering what tickets are we needing to buy compulsory reservations on.

Im doing a comparison with my short itinerary as to whether its necessary to only buy single tickets other than a global pass with compulsory reservations. here is my itinerary below
there are 3 people me and 2 daughters both aged 23/25

Dusseldorf to paris 26th Dec 4.17 pm
Paris to London 29th Dec around  8am
London to manchester same day
Rome to pisa then to florence same day 7th Jan
Florence to venice 8th jan mid morning

Munich to Zugspitze ireturn  ,  think is a special ticket paid outside the pass

Munich to Dusseldorf 14th jan
Dusseldorf to amsterdam return out on 15th jan back on 16th

I have worked out that the costs are almost similar however im now noticing a lot of big price increases in tickets EG Thalys to paris was only  82 Euros for us all when i looked back in July based on a sept fare but now its  200 euros for 3 of us so.

would like some opinions as to what my best way to do this is. These dates are fixed.
I have an option to also FLY from paris to manchester at 374 Euros cutting out the train

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 27 September 2023, 08:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A 2nd class Global Pass would only allow to travel in Standard on Thalys/Eurostar Red trains while a 1st class pass would allow Comfort.

Thalys reservations between Germany and Paris cost 32€. There is a (very) limited passholder quota, I'd recommend booking ASAP either through eurail.com (2€ fee per person per train) or https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish (4€ fee per order incl. Eurostar to London).

Trains around Christmas are becoming more and more expensive, especially Thalys and Eurostar.  I would recommend buying those 2 soon.

A 7-day pass (1st or 2nd) is the way to go in my opinion, even with the extra reservation costs. A 1st class pass doesn't cost much more and you get free seat reservations in Germany. :)

Have a look at : https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

A 2nd class Global Pass would only allow to travel in Standard on Thalys/Eurostar Red trains while a 1st class pass would allow Comfort.

Thalys reservations between Germany and Paris cost 32€. There is a (very) limited passholder quota, I'd recommend booking ASAP either through eurail.com (2€ fee per person per train) or https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish (4€ fee per order incl. Eurostar to London).

Trains around Christmas are becoming more and more expensive, especially Thalys and Eurostar.  I would recommend buying those 2 soon.

A 7-day pass (1st or 2nd) is the way to go in my opinion, even with the extra reservation costs. A 1st class pass doesn't cost much more and you get free seat reservations in Germany. :)

Have a look at : https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

mmmm that's a little confusing. when you say there is a 32 Euro reservation fee is that only with a Eurail pass. what if I buy a single ticket without a pass the current price says its 200 euros for  3 of us so i'm assuming that will include the seat reservations

If i fly from paris to manchester i'm not sure if buying the passes are going to be worth it. i'm still trying to do a cost analysis sbut some trains are not giving out prices yet 3 months in advance or slightly further and i think that's the reason they do this

where also can i check for compulsory reservations 

Also i would like to know when booking european trains where it says youth , my girls are  23 and  25 do we need to have european ID or is passport ID ok to prove that incase they ask

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the reservation fee is with Eurail, otherwise it's included in a regular ticket.

Whether you fly or not is up to you. The Eurostar leaves from the city center and is convenient to get to London but you have to change stations afterwards to get to Manchester (short walk).

The age is what matters, regardless of your passport.

Yeah prices will be available in the next few weeks. If you buy well in advance tickets may be cheaper, I don't know frankly.