Eurail's performance in real emergency situations

• 1 April 2022
  • 8 replies

What experiences have people had with the mobile app in emergency situations?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What kind of emergency situations are you thinking of?

I see many people who have lost their phones or the phones have broken. When I contact Eurail by email it takes 48 hours or more for a response. That is useless if you are in the middle of a trip and lose your phone.

I would like to hear from people who have had this problem and how Eurail helped (or not) to resolve the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A pass can be moved to another phone quite quickly. In addition, people who are travelling are prioritised. The best is to contact customer support via this form in such a case.

Thanks for the feedback...I would still like to hear from travelers who have needed this help.

Can you give a better idea of “quite quickly”?

Minutes? Hours?

Another question...for the conductors on the trains who use the QR code, is all the data about me and the trip included in the QR code? I can print out the QR codes as backup to show the conductors in case something happens to the phone while traveling.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

IIRC in a matter of hours has already occurred. You could search this forum for e.g. "move pass” etc.

AFAIK the QR code contains the same information as is displayed below the QR code. Indeed including your personal information. But printed versions are not accepted.

I will print them out anyhow...no harm.

Sample scenario: we are on the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam...3 hour trip..my phone dies...the conductor asks for the ticket...what do I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Is the QR-code the same for every trip? I think it changes, so is the qr-code on paper not good. 

If you don’t want it on you mobile phone, you could buy the Eurail Pass as Paper Pass.

In the thalys you will find power sockets. 

QR code must be unique for each trip. I can print each trip ticket separately. The data will the same whether it is scanned from a phone or printed on paper. I will also have my passport, etc. to prove my identity. I can also save each trip ticket as a screen shot and save to Google photos and to my friend’s phone. The scanning device will read it just the same as on my screen.

As I understand it, the essential thing is that the information from the scan matches your trip and your identity.

Too late for paper pass.

Power sockets are good on Thalys, but useless on a dead phone.