Solved

Eurail Validity for Panoramic Express Train

• 21 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I plan to go to Gstaad tomorrow (last day in Switzerland). The Rail Planner & SBB app is showing the Panoramic Express Train for my Journey from Montreux to Gstaad, while not mentioning 'mandatory' reservation. Moreover, the SBB app is also mentioning 'GoldenPass Panoramic' under the details.

So I am getting confused that is it a regional train covered for free by my Eurail Pass or is it the the 'Golden Pass Express' requiring a 'reservation/booking? (By the way, I travelled on a Panoramic Express train from Breinz to Luzerne today)

Moreover, I need following suggestions:

1. Besides Gstaad, what other good places are there to make a stop-over & visit on this route/train?

2. Other (nearby) good places, accessible by this or any other 'Panoramic Express' train?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 21 June 2023, 20:12

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your pass is valid, reservations are possible but not necessary. And indeed, this trains also functions as a normal regional train.

Badge +2

Will this be the Glacier Pass Express? Or a simple Panoramic Express? And why Glacier Pass Express written with it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And why Glacier Pass Express written with it?

It is not the Glacier Express but the Golden Pass Express.

Badge +2

You are right, it's Golden Pass Express.

As per my knowledge, reservation was compulsory on special trains like Golden Pass?? However, you are saying that I can simply go and show them my Eurail Pass, with no need of a paid reservation??

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Reservations are compulsory on some panorama trains which operate as extra trains, I can think of 3 : Glacier Express, Gotthard Panorama Express and panorama carriages on the Bernina Express.

However the Golden Pass is a regular hourly service which everyone can board without reservation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations are not mandatory on the Golden Pass Express.