Eurail will not reimburse me the money I spent to buy tickets on a train I was trying to use my pass for.

Eurail will not reimburse me the money I spent to buy tickets on a train I was trying to use my pass for.

mitch

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So which train did you buy tickets for and why do you think Eurail should reimburse you?

I boarded a train from Basel Switzerland to Dijon France.  This portion of my travel was to part of my Eurail pass days.  I had paid for my seat reservations too.  

On my previous train rides I had gotten on the train and then activated the ticket when asked for my tickets.  On this train the conductor would not accept the activated ticket because it was not activated before I got on the train.

Mitch

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I boarded a train from Basel Switzerland to Dijon France.  This portion of my travel was to part of my Eurail pass days.  I had paid for my seat reservations too.  

On my previous train rides I had gotten on the train and then activated the ticket when asked for my tickets.  On this train the conductor would not accept the activated ticket because it was not activated before I got on the train.

Mitch

Technically he was correct, what you did could be seen as a type of fare evasion, only paying or in this case activating an electronic ticket when challenged. His assumption could be that had he not checked you could have finished the trip without activating the pass and therefore not paying for the journey.

Unfortunately you really don’t have a case here, you made a mistake not Eurail who do instruct users to activate Before making a journey.

I was not instructed or I wouldn’t have made the mistake.  I had purchased the exact number of travel days I needed.  Why would It be assumed I was trying to do something wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I was not instructed or I wouldn’t have made the mistake.

Did you read the confirmation mail after ordering your pass?

In any case, waiting to activate a journey until tickets are checked is not OK, especially if it's the first train of the day on a flexipass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sorry but this is ridiculous. You should read the T&C before you travel. This is absolutely ONLY your mistake and EUrail isn’t guilty for anything here… Stop blaming other people for your own mistakes please.