Solved

Experience with traveling with screenshots of QR codes?

• 14 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Following problem: I bought the mobile pass (as I have in the past) and did not realise my Iphone 6 is no longer supported by the app ( what I find highly annoying is that the app itself still runs perfectly on my phone, it is only when I want to add a new pass that it asks me to update the app - super misleading!). long story short, interrail refuses to give me a full refund despite me being unable to use the product I bought, so I was wondering whether it might be feasible to activate the pass on another person’s phone and let them add the trips I need, and then just have them send the screenshot of the ticket to me?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 14 July 2022, 18:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don't think it will work as the train staff sometimes can't scan and then they need to scroll down and read the text below the QR code. Then the train staff will easily notice that there is no actual mobile pass on your phone.

@rvdborgt What is your opinion?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The least hassle might be to borrow/get a cheap phone and move your pass there (via customer support). You don't need a mobile subscription, having internet connection via wifi is also enough.

When did you buy your mobil pass? Since the conditions of use were only changed on 29/4/2022 to require iOS 13 instead of iOS 10. If you bough it before that date, you are entitled to use the pass, although in practice that would probably mean exchange it for a paper pass without any costs.

You could still ask for an exchange to a paper pass. You will need some time for the pass to be delivered of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It is not within the rules of the ticket to do this, If you get caught there is a very high possibility of you being subject to the harshest penalties for fare evasion in whichever country you are in.

I don’t get why it would be fare evasion though - I did pay for a pass, it’s active and I’ve added the relevant journeys to the ticket (which they should see when scanning the QR code) - the only thing missing is the device generating said QR code, which shouldn’t really matter to them as long as the QR code is valid? It’s not like somebody else can travel simultaneously with my pass as it is linked to my passport?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t get why it would be fare evasion though - I did pay for a pass, it’s active and I’ve added the relevant journeys to the ticket (which they should see when scanning the QR code) 

But you will most likely run into situations where your pass can't be scanned and you will have to show in another way than with the QR code that you have a valid pass.

But you can always ask Customer Support through the form below and see what they say.

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new