Skip to main content

Hello my dear fellow Interrailers, I have some thing to ask before i book my tickets. I am a father of 6 kids and family of 8. My childrean are 10 years, 7 years, 4 years, 2 and half, 2 and half (twins) and 1 year.  I am buying 2 Adult tickets and 4 kids ticket as i cant buy more do i need to buy ticket for 2 and half and 1 year if they traveling wiht us. please can any let me know. Thanks!

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/global-pass

Additional conditions for Adults with Children

• Children under 4 travel for free and do not need an Interrail Pass. You may be asked to sit a child under 4 on your lap during busy times. If you'd like to reserve a separate seat for your child under 4, then you will need to add a free Child Pass to your order, as it's only possible to book seats/beds for Pass holders. Read more
  • Children aged 4 to 11 travel for free with a Child Pass. A child must be accompanied at all times by at least one person with an Adult Pass. This doesn’t have to be a family member and can be anyone over 18.

• Children must be 11 or younger on the date you choose to start your trip. 
  • Up to 2 children can travel with 1 adult. For example, when 2 adults are travelling, they can take 4 children with them. If more than 2 children are travelling with 1 adult, a separate Youth Pass must be purchased for each additional child.
  • Children under 12 travel in the same travel class as the accompanying adult.

• Travellers aged 12 to 27 can travel with a Youth Pass.

You can only get 2 free children's pass per adult pass, so with 2 adults you get 4 children's passes. You don't need children's passes for children under 4, but then you need to have the child on your lap when travelling.

If you want to have the possibility to get seats for all children, the best is to buy an adult pass for one child and then you get the last children's pass for free. 

As you are a group of 8, or 6, depending on how many reservations you want, you should make your reservations well in advance. You might also need to make a group reservation on some trains, or split your reservation in two, as some railway companies have a limit of 5 persons that can make reservations together.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/global-pass

Additional conditions for Adults with Children

• Children under 4 travel for free and do not need an Interrail Pass. You may be asked to sit a child under 4 on your lap during busy times. If you'd like to reserve a separate seat for your child under 4, then you will need to add a free Child Pass to your order, as it's only possible to book seats/beds for Pass holders. Read more
  • Children aged 4 to 11 travel for free with a Child Pass. A child must be accompanied at all times by at least one person with an Adult Pass. This doesn’t have to be a family member and can be anyone over 18.

• Children must be 11 or younger on the date you choose to start your trip. 
  • Up to 2 children can travel with 1 adult. For example, when 2 adults are travelling, they can take 4 children with them. If more than 2 children are travelling with 1 adult, a separate Youth Pass must be purchased for each additional child.
  • Children under 12 travel in the same travel class as the accompanying adult.

• Travellers aged 12 to 27 can travel with a Youth Pass.

Hi there! Good Evening! Thanks so much for the respond. I already bought 2 Adult with 4 kids free ticket as kids under 4 doesn’t need to have tickets. My wife gonna carry one year old baby in her lap and my self gonna carry one baby on my lap and we thought 2 twins boys who are 2 and half can share one seat as i of the keed gonna have seat. Thats what i did when i traveld to Scotland.