Solved

Ferry as a travelday

• 6 March 2022
  • 6 replies

My friend and I want to take the ferry from Italy to Greece, which is free with out global pass. Something that we cannot find exactly is that the free ferry will cost a travel day. So our question is: 

do you have to use a travel day to take the ferry between Italy and Greece (the free ferry)? 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 7 March 2022, 17:37

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When the normal fare is covered by the pass, then you have to use a travel day. Accommodation (cabin), port tax, fuel surcharge, season surcharge will still be extra though.

However, the information about this "free” ferry (Anek/Superfast) is contradictory. On their own page, they say indeed that a global pass will give you a free journey.

Interrail however say there's only a 30% discount even with a global pass, in which case you wouldn't need to use a travel day.

@seewulf, didn't you ask Superfast some time ago which information is correct? Did they ever reply?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Gegroet vanuit een splinternieuw stukje Antwerpen met ecologische verantwoording.

Nu ik dit weer zie: het lijkt er toch op dat ENKEL die Greek Islands Pass de ´gratis´ overtocht biedt en NIET al die andere passen-zo noemen ze ook bvb nog de BalkanFlexipass-die geven enkel de discount.

For all others: seems that the ́free´ passage is ONLY when you hold the Greek Islands Pass-the more expensive one for 6 trips, also sold by INter/EuRail. Other railpasses give only discount.

Note again: there are many more ferries doing IT-GR, though some now only take peoples with cars. There are dozens of sites that overview all ferries-just google. It may very well be that the ´free´ passage with all the taxes comes out as costing more as a normal ticket, perhaps with junior discount, on another ferry.

Thank you! But does somebody know if it takes a travel day to take the boat. For example we have a seven day within a month ticket, will it cost us one of those 7 days?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thank you! But does somebody know if it takes a travel day to take the boat. For example we have a seven day within a month ticket, will it cost us one of those 7 days?

When it´s a “free” (Cabins&Taxes are charged ontop) ferry it would need a travelday 

When its just a discounted ferry no travenday needed :) 

@rvdborgt  yes their answer was in my Spam they said that only the 6days GrekIslandpass offer a free ferry from Italy to Greece :/ with a Globalpass it´s now just the published discount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

yes their answer was in my Spam they said that only the 6days GrekIslandpass offer a free ferry from Italy to Greece :/ with a Globalpass it´s now just the published discount.

Right. So they're in fact misrepresenting their deal on their own web page. But then we know you don't need to use a travel day.

Hi, sorry i still have a doubt could you please enlighten me

I am in Bari and i paid a ferry journey (52€) for Bari-Patras on Wednesday, and they specify in the confirmation email "if you have an Interrail pass, you should also have your valid train ticket (e.g. Interrail Greek Island pass)

So i still don't get if i should use a travel day, or not ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sophie