Solved

Fined on French trains

• 15 September 2022
  • 3 replies

I just got fined 50 euro travelling from Paris to Avignon because I hadn’t validated my Eurail pass prior to boarding the train. I had booked seats for me and my family of 5 but didn’t realised I had to validate the pass on the day of travel. The inspector suggested it was 50 euro fine for each of my travelling party (250) but when I said no to that he reduced it to 50. Now I’m hearing from other passengers that he should have let me go as we validated all 5 passes then and there. Should I report him or is this normal?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 15 September 2022, 13:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It is clear that you have to add every trip on your Eurail pass. Not adding it you can't show the QR-Code on the app that is your ticket. The reservation is only there, which seat you have and is not a Ticket.

If you have a paper pass, the Pass is only valid if you write the trip on the list or adding it on the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The inspector acted correctly and you were lucky to get away with only a fine of 50 EUR and not 250 EUR. You must have a valid ticket when you board the train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Indeed, the pass is your ticket, and you always need a valid ticket when travelling by train.

Now, quite some inspectors are quite understanding (to tourists) and let you do it if you forgot it, and just warn you. But some are more principal, like the one you met.

Technically the inspector was right, and he even showed goodwill by reducing the fine to 50 EUR. Reporting him will be a waste of your time, since they will never answer in your favour.