Solved

Firenze S.M.N. to Rome Airport Fiumicino

• 20 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge
  • Full steam ahead
  • 30 replies

Journey from Firenze S.M.N. to Rome Airport Fuumicino on Eurail reservation site showed two journey options:

1. Firenze S.M.N. to Roma Termini with 16 minutes to catch another train to Rome airport. However, the site shows ‘Some conditions apply’ that second class Eurail Pass holders need to buy a separate ticket to board the Rome Termini to Rome Airport train. The resevation fee  for the train from Firenze S.M.N. to Roma Termini is 15 euros.
  2. Firenze S.M.N.to Roma Tiburtina with 17 minutes to catch another train to Rome Airport. The train from Roma Tiburtina to Rome Airport showed ‘You’re ready to board’. The reservation fee for the train from Firenze S.M.N.to Roma Tiburtina is 15 euros.

So I understand -

1. Firenze S.M.N. to Rome Airport Fuumicino via Roma Termini will cost 15 euros plus the price of ticket from Rome Termini to Rome Airport, whatever that is. Is that right?
  2. Firenze S.M.N. to Rome Airport Fuumicino via Roma Tiburtina witll cost 15 euros only as the train from Roma Tiburtina to Rome Airport is covered by the Eurail Pass. Is that right?

Questions:

1. Is 16 minutes for changeover at Roma Termini enough time to do more leisurely or you have to rush like hell? Do you have to get from one platform to another? What is the real time taken to get from getting off the Firenzia train to catch the Roma Termini connection train?
  2. Is 17 minutes for changeover at Rome Tiburtina enough time to do more leisurely or you have to rush like hell? Do you have to get from one platform to another? What is the real time taken to get from getting off the Firenzia train to catch the Roma Termini connection train?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 20 August 2023, 10:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the Roma Termini - Fiumicino Airport is classified as a 1st class train in order to make tourists pay more... they run every 15 min so it's not an issue if you miss one. 16 min is plenty enough even if you need to walk a bit.

The Tiburtina - Fiumicino on the other hand is a regular regional train, simply hop on and sit wherever you want.

I'd advise the route via Tiburtina to save money. If you'd like to save a little bit more, book your seat reservations through tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets -> 13€.

Badge

Hi Thibcabe,

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

Is 17 minutes changeover at Roma Tiburtina enough time?

How early should reservation at oebb be done for either train options? Can it be done on the day of travel?

My impression is that both via Roma Terminin and via Roma Tiburtina trains run so frequent that seat reservations should not run out. Therefore reservation can be done as late as the day of travel. Am I right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

17 min is plenty enough.

Yes availability on the day itself should not be an issue since as you said trains run frequently.

Badge

Hi Thibcabe,

Thank you for all your help. 

Have a nice day.